What's new
What's new

milling head drop in the z axis

anthonycosier37

Plastic
hi guys i am new to the forum but i was wondering .if you designed a milling machine head z axis which was driven up and down with a lead or ballscrew with a handle. With the cutting forces and weight of the head would the leadscrew be driven down dropping

i have seen it done for cnc conversions on mill like sieg x2 but i wonderered does it need to be cnc driven and why not a handle if this is not the best way to do it for a manual mill what is if it is obvious to you sorry but i am not fully conversed with machine design but i have to learn from others so if you could clear it up

i have seen it done for cnc conversions on mill like sieg x2 but i wonderered does it need to be cnc driven and why not a handle if this is not the best way to do it for a manual mill what is if it is obvious to you sorry but i am not fully conversed with machine design but i have to learn from others so if you could clear it up

You would need thousands of dollars in ballscrew/nuts thrust bearings a sturdy ass casting and one hell of a brake. Otherwise there would be so much movement in pretty much everything a cut would not be successful...well maybe in jello.

A seig x2...come on really. It's a piece of shit to begin with.

Most every vertical machining center has the head driven up and down by a ball screw, the high efficiency will cause the screw to back drive which is why they usually have a counterweight to offset the weight. If you had a manual mill with a ballscrew on z you'd need a brake to counteract the cutting forces which can't be counterbalanced. Same way you have to lock table if you have ballscrews on the x and y unless you want to hold them the whole time.

Back