What's new
What's new

Milling Head For A Lathe?

blake in spokane

Hot Rolled
Looking for ideas to build a small milling head to bolt down on the cross slide. The plan is to mill small slots/grooves on long round stock feeding the carriage by removing gears to the spindle & mounting a mill power feed unit to drive the feed rod. Gotta mill some 70" long grooves & my mill table wont go that far! Any ideas?

size of groove will matter. look for a rong fu type milling machine, use the head, make a lathe mount. if this suits your application, pm me 1st.

If they are small grooves the easiest and cheapest option would be to buy a S______e mill head and riser block and adapt them to your cross slide. I can't say the whole name of this Mfg. as discussion of them is forbidden. Although they are considered a hobbyist machine the heads have been used on custom built light industrial machines for special purposes. Most industrial users seem to use the ER-16 version of the head.

If they are small grooves the easiest and cheapest option would be to buy a S______e mill head and riser block and adapt them to your cross slide. I can't say the whole name of this Mfg. as discussion of them is forbidden. Although they are considered a hobbyist machine the heads have been used on custom built light industrial machines for special purposes. Most industrial users seem to use the ER-16 version of the head.

Rutt-Roh.....:skep:

Attachments

• Opus-Blasphemer.JPG
    Opus-Blasphemer.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 304
Looking for ideas to build a small milling head to bolt down on the cross slide. The plan is to mill small slots/grooves on long round stock feeding the carriage by removing gears to the spindle & mounting a mill power feed unit to drive the feed rod. Gotta mill some 70" long grooves & my mill table wont go that far! Any ideas?
Sherline mill, its designed to unbolt in 2 seconds and mount just about any where. you can get collets or set screw end mill holders basically hugh amount of accessories all designed to work with it and it has variable speed control.
you can build one in 100 hours of labor and spends a lot on parts or just buy one already set ready to go

Sherline has industrial series of parts like a mill head with ER-32 collets. many used the industrial series of machine parts to build custom machines.
i find engineering something well designed to be more work than making something clumsy and bulky and often not as good as something you can just buy
you can also buy a Bridgeport type mill head and use that although its not light. need a hoist or crane. you dont pick Bridgeport mill head up by your self. Series 1 mill head usually 1.5hp and if R8 collets a lot of collets and tool holders will fit it

I have a Bridgeport M head with a 1 hp 110 motor and a handful of collets is be willing to part with fir this project . Pm me if your interested

Or, you can go to Keystone and get keyed shafting. Up to 20' lengths in about any size you can imagine.
Keystone Keyed Shafting
JR

+1

Not a wheel much in need of re-inventing.

My last one, a 1 1/2" X 36" - came from Thompson:

https://www.thomsonlinear.com/websi...inear_guides/shafting/quickshaft_products.php

Half a century ago I also designed-in splined, also store-bought;

Custom Spline Shafts & Profiles • US Cold Rolling Since 1951 | Grob Inc.

Not a perfect match? Sometimes it makes good sense to alter a design so stock goods ARE a perfect match.

All these houses do custom work, too. AND/OR/ELSE have distributor / post processors who do.

No point reinventing the wheel- it's what the VersaMil was designed for. Using a stagger tooth cutter cutting from the top, it's a pretty easy job. The smallest VersaMil #31 shows up on ebay occasionally.

or you can wait for a mill I made for Jorgensen Forge in Seattle that are closing. It weighs around six thousand pounds however. Used for cutting tapered keys on ship and submarine propeller shafts. Used on their 120 foot long lathes. WAY bigger than my small mills.

why not use the mill.just clamp a reference bar to your bar
and mill hat ever travel length you have at a time.

Back