What's new
What's new

Which milling machine do I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tariq

Plastic
Hi everybody.

I'm new here and this is my very first post. It's also a new hobby that I'm just getting into and have no past experience in machining apart from the information I picked up from Youtube and reading what other generous people share on forums.

I bought an old, used lathe (Praktikant 140) which I haven't got to use yet as I'm still waiting on the tool post and holders to arrive from Pewetools.

I wanted to buy a medium sized bench top milling machine but I can't source this locally (Riyadh, Saudi Arabia). So I went on the net and found a couple of machines from China which seem to be viable options.

I need this machine to perform well in a wider variety of materials; steel, aluminum, etc. I also don't want it to be too small that it would limit the size of materials that I can use it for.

I know that this is just for a hobby and no production work is expected at the moment but since there aren't any local sources available to me if I wanted to upgrade in the future, I'm leaning towards options that will give me more room to grow with less restrictions.

These are the two machines I'm looking at BT32V and ZAY7045V/1:

Taladro Fresador BT32V Auto Vertical Drilling Milling Machine
Zay7045v/1 Variable Speed Manual Milling Machine With Auto-feeding Function - Buy Manual Milling Machine,Milling,Milling Machine Product on Alibaba.com

The second one can be upgraded to a 2.2kw motor.

So what do you think? Which of the two should I get and why?

Thanks in advance.

In a variable speed drive the maximum torque available at the spindle will be the same at maximum and minimum RPM. With a geared head machine the torque in the lower ranges is multiplied by the gear ratio. If using a face mill that extra torque is needed, also for drilling larger hole. The 3 machines shown are junk. I suggest looking at the Rong Fu RF45 mill or one of its clones. The RF45 is made in Taiwan, not China.

China makes some very nice machine tools but like anywhere you get what you pay for. Looks like you are on a small budget and to me this looks like a decent machine for the price.

https://www.wellmachtool.com/ZAY704...ED-MILL-DRILL-Milling-Machines-pd6398259.html

You also seem to have several machine tool distributors in SA and could check with them, but as I said if your on a tight budget and just starting out that machine looks like it will get you started and then upgrade as needed.

Cheers and good luck from the USA!

Hi Illinoyance

Just sent Rong Fu a message and started a search for clones (I assume that most clones would be made in China)
But just so I understand what to look for, apart from where the machine is made, the main difference between the design of the RF45 (and its clones) and the ZAY7045V/1 is the variable speed drive?
The ZAY7045V/1 is a variable speed and has a low and high gear selector. Shouldn't the low gear deal with the torque issue to a degree?

China makes some very nice machine tools but like anywhere you get what you pay for. Looks like you are on a small budget and to me this looks like a decent machine for the price.

ZAY7040V-1/ZAY7032V-1/ZAY7045V-1 31 1/2" x 9 1/2" VARIABLE SPEED MILL DRILL - Milling Machines - Buy chizhou drilling milling machine, drilling and milling, combination mill and drill Product on Lathe machine, milling machine, CNC lathe, CNC milling machine for metal working

You also seem to have several machine tool distributors in SA and could check with them, but as I said if your on a tight budget and just starting out that machine looks like it will get you started and then upgrade as needed.

Cheers and good luck from the USA!

Thank you and you are right. I have a tight budget:(

Hi Illinoyance

Just sent Rong Fu a message and started a search for clones (I assume that most clones would be made in China)
But just so I understand what to look for, apart from where the machine is made, the main difference between the design of the RF45 (and its clones) and the ZAY7045V/1 is the variable speed drive?
The ZAY7045V/1 is a variable speed and has a low and high gear selector. Shouldn't the low gear deal with the torque issue to a degree?

Do some local networking.

Saudi-ARAMCO has had rather GOOD machining facilities since earliest days. They HAVE to have. Oilfields are that way, and they need stuff made, modified, or repaired YESTERDAY, and often. Same again, the local military needs and transport industry.

Find an experienced mill hand. Yes, they exist. In-country.

Get locally useful advice on where and how to find a useful mill.

Not a useless toy that will only waste your time as well as your money.

Do some local networking.

Saudi-ARAMCO has had rather GOOD machining facilities since earliest days. They HAVE to have. Oilfields are that way, and they need stuff made, modified, or repaired YESTERDAY, and often. Same again, the local military needs and transport industry.

Find an experienced mill hand. Yes, they exist. In-country.

Get locally useful advice on where and how to find a useful mill.

Not a useless toy that will only waste your time as well as your money.

That's good advise thermite, although most machines in these large companies are usually larger than I have space for. Nonetheless, getting in touch with someone local with more experience should help.

Hey Tariq there are several videos on this companies machine tools, here is one but plenty more. Give you some ideas about it.

Drilling and Milling Machine ZAY7045M from WMTCNC - YouTube

Hi Vecair. Yes I saw a few of them before I contacted them the first time. They also have other models. I gave them my requirements and asked them to propose their best models and they proposed ZAY7045V/1. They said that it was their most sold model and their customers were satisfied with it with no complaints.
I know that Chinese machines have a bad reputation but some say that this is not always the case.
What would really help is if someone has had actual hands on experience with this particular machine. I'm not sure that quality can be determined just through pictures or videos.
I wonder if there is any other way I can determine if it's any good other than just relying on the companies own word.

If you have no experience in machining every machine that can cut metal looks impressive
So a hobbyist telling me any of those cheap machines(Made in China or anywhere else) are good I would not thrust
I have had customers stepping back in fear from a normal cut I demonstrated them on a Deckel Even a small FP1
And it was smooth and on size where I wanted it
Do not make the mistake in thinking you get a real machine It is a toy machine Like you have toy cars for kids
If that is what you are looking for go ahead and buy one
But do you ask advice on the porche forum for a toy car?? Or drive to work with one ??
Super_Sport_GT_-_Red_005_1024x1024.jpg

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back