What's new
What's new

Milling Machine Part Identification!

Sklontz

Plastic
Mill Head Front Far.jpgMill Head Front Close.jpgMill Head Rear Close.jpg
Hey guys, new to the forum as i am a hobbyist. I have a Bridgeport mill with what seems to be an import Variable speed head, I finally got it wired but now i have the issue of a missing spring on what im assuming is a sheave setup with a spring. Would somebody be able to point me in the direction of the correct part i need to get the spindle rotating? at the moment i have no tension on the belt because of the missing pieces.

Thank you in advance.
Pictures are attached, information greatly appreciated. Hobbyist

There is plenty of Bridgeport stuff online ..schematics,instructions,parts books etc ....I d start wit a parts PDF for your particular setup........you ll also discover they aint as simple as they look from the outside.

There is plenty of Bridgeport stuff online ..schematics,instructions,parts books etc ....I d start wit a parts PDF for your particular setup........you ll also discover they aint as simple as they look from the outside.

Well, I have mainly found the type of part i need, i need to know what brand this specific head is to make sure that a bridgeport variable speed head part will actually work for it. on the bridgeport it appears that the sheave shaft has a flat on it for mounting while on the import motor it does not look like the shaft has a flat.

It looks like you need the Varidisc spring. I would bet that one for a B"port would work. Maybe H&W will chime in to confirm.

It looks like you need the Varidisc spring. I would bet that one for a B"port would work. Maybe H&W will chime in to confirm.

My biggest concern is that the bridgeport varidisc part seems to have a flat spot reserved to keep it located on the motor shaft while my motor shaft does not have a flat as best i can tell.

Are you perhaps talking about a keyway? It would make no difference if all you needed was the spring.

I need both the spring and cap for the spring to push against i am assuming, all i have is the lower pulley

I have some of the old guts outta my Chevalier. It's a 40 taper machine so maybe too big.

The pulley measures 6 7/8 dia.
Shaft size 28mm
Spring OD 2.700...ish
Spring wire dia. .260
Captive key 6mm

I have some of the old guts outta my Chevalier. It's a 40 taper machine so maybe too big.

The pulley measures 6 7/8 dia.
Shaft size 28mm
Spring OD 2.700...ish
Spring wire dia. .260
Captive key 6mm

I will take it apart and take some measurements and reply with some more pictures of the motor shaft and everything a little later this week. I also have the original change belt head for the bridgeport, i believe it is a '66 model. before i give up and go that route i want to exhaust my options on the variable speed head.

On the same note though would any of you guys be able to identify the name of the logo?

I will take it apart and take some measurements and reply with some more pictures of the motor shaft and everything a little later this week. I also have the original change belt head for the bridgeport, i believe it is a '66 model. before i give up and go that route i want to exhaust my options on the variable speed head.

On the same note though would any of you guys be able to identify the name of the logo?

Just be cautious when you take the pulley apart. That spring is strong!! There should be 2 holes for ¼-20? bolts to anchor the spring in place.

Just be cautious when you take the pulley apart. That spring is strong!! There should be 2 holes for ¼-20? bolts to anchor the spring in place.

thats the problem though! i dont have the spring or cap that puts pressure on the bottom pulley! if you look above in the last pic i posted it has the lower pulley with no spring or retainer. thats because i believe im missing the spring and the cap! thats what i get for buying the machine in pieces and rebuilding it..

thats the problem though! i dont have the spring or cap that puts pressure on the bottom pulley! if you look above in the last pic i posted it has the lower pulley with no spring or retainer. thats because i believe im missing the spring and the cap! thats what i get for buying the machine in pieces and rebuilding it..

Yep, I knew that but had brain fart. If mine is correct for your machine, it's already "loaded" on the lower part of the pulley.

Try Eisen machinery.They sell parts for Taiwan machinery.There are a lot of the same heads made with a lot of different trade names on them.Yours looks a lot like my Webb.Call them and send them a picture,they can probably id it.

UPDATE,

I went out and took the motor off, grabbed some measurements.

solid cylinder shaft on the motor, no provision for captive key, keyway, or a lock to locate the pulley in any way.
the shaft diameter is .945"
the pulley where i believe the spring perches tapers slightly but at its largest it is 2.111
and then the pulley has what looks like a delrin bushing with two threaded holes, seeming to be about #10 sized.

UPDATE,

I went out and took the motor off, grabbed some measurements.

solid cylinder shaft on the motor, no provision for captive key, keyway, or a lock to locate the pulley in any way.
the shaft diameter is .945"
the pulley where i believe the spring perches tapers slightly but at its largest it is 2.111
and then the pulley has what looks like a delrin bushing with two threaded holes, seeming to be about #10 sized.

Well rats! Guess I can't help you. Good luck.

My mill appears to have a 3hp motor like I said with a round shaft no keyway. Would anyone know where to get a spring retainer for it

Back