What's new
What's new

Milling machine table not square

rzw0wr

Plastic
I have a small milling machine.
About Bridgeport size table.
I can rotate the head left and right to tram in the X axis.

The problem I have is that the Y axis is not parallel or square to the quill.

I get .015" low in the front of the table compared to the back on the Y axis.

The quill is not square to anything.

I have no way to square the quill to the table on the Y axis.

Do I try to live with this or should I fly cut it.

No machine shops around here.

Thank you,
Dale

No.

Presumably the table is flat(ish) so it’s wear in your ways or saddle etc. Facing the table is only going to provide a perpendicular axis at the position the table was fly cut at. Sounds like you or someone you know might need to redo or add some turcite and scrape it into shape.

If I didn’t want to bother with that I would mount an aluminum sub plate to the table and flycut that instead of the cast iron table itself but that is bandaid at best and only lets someone at a later date redo the ways without a butchered table.

Cutting the table is NOT the first, second, third, or even tenth thing that you should be thinking about doing. Please put that idea on HOLD!

A caution: read the guidelines for posts on this forum and follow them. For instance, discussion of many, inexpensive machines is not allowed. But generic questions can be posted.

OK, you say the table is not square. It is about 0.015" lower in the front. You need to investigate just what is wrong in stead of assuming it it the top of the table. We will need some more details before a plan of attack can be created.

First, just what style of mill is it? You mention Bridgeport, but only in relation to the table size. The fact that the front of the table is low suggests that it may be a knee mill - the table rides up and down on a vertical dovetail on the base casting below the table. Is that so? Or is it another style? Round column? Dovetail/square column? Horizontal? What?

Next, just how did you determine that the front of the table is low? The method usually used is to sweep a circle on the table with a DI held in a arm in the quill. This will determine if it is square to the quill's axis. If you used some other method, go back and do it this way. AND while sweeping that circle, ALL the lock downs on the table and the column should be tight. A knee mill with loose gibs on the dovetails WILL hang at an angle with the front edge lower than the rear. The only proper way to check it is with the gibs locked down tight. Likewise for any lockdowns on the head. Everything should be locked down tight. And, even though it is not absolutely necessary, the X and Y slides should also be tight.

Finally you say that there is no adjustment. This is not actually true. Most milling machines are made from several castings which are bolted together. You can adjust the angles between them by adding shims between the two mating surfaces. Left-right and front-back can be adjusted. Some manufacturers will try to "pretty up" their machines by putting putty at the junctions between two castings before the machine is painted. This produces a nicer appearance. You can just scrape that putty and paint off to get at the junction. The presence of assembly bolts should tell you where this has been done.

first find out if the top of the table is parallel to the bottom
take off the table and measure it
while it is off, sweep the ways the table rides in the way EPAIII said
if you find the ways are perpendicular to the quill and the table is not parallel go ahead and cut the top of the table
if the ways are not perpendicular to the quill you will have to find a way to make them so.
you then either you have to adjust the column or the ways

The major thing about knee mills wearing out is how the knee drops forward over time. This run out is common wear but unless you can tighten the gibs on the table height without it going tight at either end (assuming all the wear is in the middle of travel, which is common)
There isn’t much you can do, apart from scraping the ways.

Back