What's new
What's new

Milling Nonferrous Composites...

Parkerbender

Stainless
In the latest chapter of the question-a-thon which has been this latest design project, I am wondering about milling a part which is part 6061, part 6Al4V. I have a .1815 reamed hole which is going to have .07 of Ti in it. Am I going to have to plunge drill it with an endmill, and then will a carbide reamer work, or will it still want to wander? I'll try to get a picture up, so it's easier to tell what I'm talking about...

To a lesser extend I have to also make a bore which is a similar story, but I have been interpolating it with a .750 carbide endmill, and the amount of Ti is less, so I think i can get away just helixing it as usual, and slowing down for the part where it's eating the Ti...

I appreciate all the help I can get, as the only Ti I have worked with thus far has been pet projects, and not production parts...

Thanks!

-Parker

M4GasBlock.jpg

The black square is a Ti round, .25 dia, .325 long. The reamed hole is .625 deep, encountering the change in materials at approximately half the depth. In addition the circle below it is the hole I need to bore with the endmill, it's about .7525ish. (blue part is a hole which gets drilled in the Ti, and is of no consequence for this question)

Parkerbender
Not sure what's going on here !!
Would need a monitor about 4 feet wide
to see your Thread and picture !!

Davycrocket

Classic mix-up, I actually do have a reallly big monitor on my drafting computer, and had no idea it was so big. Terribly sorry about that, is this better?

-Parker

Anytime you split a drilled hole between mixed materials you're taking a chance on pushing the bore awry but, with what you have described and if you're using sharp tools and continually feed through the ti (it work hardens if you pause) I believe you should be ok. Depending on the tolerances you need to hold, If it had to be perfectly straight I would drill it and then ream it, a carbide reamer would be a good solution but I don't think I would use a carbide reamer. Titanium cuts good just move smoothly through it. I am assuming the titanium is almost a zero clearance fit with the aluminum.

The Ti is basically as tight as I can get it. I may go with a carbide reamer, as this is theoretically going into production (2000 holes/ month), and the customer is cool with paying tooling costs up front. If a guy has sharp cutters does a guy get away with drilling the pilot hole on the .181 part, or does a guy interpolate it with an 1/8 em, then ream?

tolerances are as close as manufacturably possible, in general a tight slip/loose press fit on a .180 pin after hard anodize. There is a set screw involved, so it just has to be pretty darn close, is all. but pretty darn.

Edit: is there a reason not to go with a carbide reamer?

Carbide is brittle, HSS is much more forgiving to interruptions in the cut and won't break. I know the carbide is stiffer but I would worry about breaking a carbide reamer in there. Try it, it might be just what the doctor ordered. Titanium is'nt anything to be afraid of, I really like cutting it, just don't let the tool dwell in one place, like I said keep the tool, whatever it is moving through the metal. I would just drill it and ream it. you'll be able to judge the viability of your method after one or two parts. I do not see any reason to use an end mill.. The reason I asked about the titanium being mated up solid with the Al is if the Ti is allowed to jiggle around in its location that would allow work hardening to occur.

Back