What's new
What's new

Milling V Groove in AL

John Gargano

Aluminum
I want to mill a 90 degree V-shaped groove about 0.250" deep in some 6061 AL. Are those 90 degree countersinks ok for this or is there a better type of cutter for this application?

At that depth I wouldn't use a c'sink. They make 90 deg. ang. cutters one type mounts onto an arbor used for a slitting saw, the other type is all one pc. much like a key cutter.

Jackmo

There are 90 degree carbide mills, either 2 or 4 flute, that would probably be best for this project. I'd do it in a couple of passes, with high speed and feed, and WD-40 or kerosene.

Look for "drill mills" at Enco.

Quote:- Couldnt you use a standard (square) endmill...and nod (or tilt) the mill head 45 degrees?

By far the best way of doing it, the cutting speed at the centre of a countersink/ small angle cutter is very low, and IME doesn't give a good finish.

Take care. Sami.

I just did a job last weekend, 4 pcs , each with 71 90* grooves. They were .040" deep on .100" centers.... I tilted the head and trammed it to
a 5" sine bar. The job came off without a hitch.
Also had to do 4 matching top straps with slots and clearence holes, also came off without a hitch. Tilt your head and use a sharp endmill
and you will get good results.

It will work, but I don't think it will give you as nice of a finish as a regular (sharp) endmill with either the work or the head tilted.

Cheap carbide Router cutters (intended for wood) make a pretty good job in alu alloy, as long as you don't have lots to do, they can be an economical alternative. They come in a 90 degree v-groove cutter configuration, and cut right to the center (although there will be a little smearing)

Generally speaking aluminium alloys respond quite well to woodworking tools and techniques, even down to a hand plane for chamfering long straight edges, or a skil saw for cutting plate, up to say 6mm

Depends on if you need a true 45 deg. in the bottom of the groove. A carbide mill-drill doesn't leave a true V shape, but has a flat on the bottom. I cut about 80 or so grooves in cast iron w/ a single flute carbide etching tool. 1/4 inch one is about $20 I think. Worked great used 2 tools on 40+ parts.

Back