What's new
What's new

Millrite mv gibb adjustment screws?

Tolken4

Plastic
Hi all I have an old millrite mv. Looking for the locations and perhaps an image. I suspect mine is missing on my machine and need to know how to replace. Is this a common screw or special part?

OK. On the right-hand side of the cross-slide, in front of the cross-feed nut mounting block you'll see two vertical holes, one large, one small. The small one is a jack screw which limits how tight the large screw can clamp that end of the gib. On the other end (left side) all you have is the table lock bolt/handle.They are standard socket-head cap screws except that the jackscrew has the threads ground off the end so they don't get smashed and make it hard to remove. This is what I have on my MVN, made in 1978. I suppose yours could be different but I don't think they changed that stuff much over the years.

Sorry I can't provide a picture because my Y-axis scale is mounted right below those holes and I don't have enough hands to do a mirror-shot.

edit: NOTE- The jackscrew is a setscrew, not a socket-head cap screw. Sorry.

Thank you, so this is the screen that is missing I believe to be a gib screw.

It is on the left looking at the table while facing he machine. Stage right
https://flic.kr/p/G5aLLQ

The hole you're pointing to is where the table-lock bolt/handle should go. Where I see it in your picture is where another ordinary cross-slide gib bolt should go, just like the other three along that line. The Y-axis (crossfeed) lock is on the left edge of the saddle, directly above the second knuckle of your finger. The way yours is set up, tightening that lower handle would do nothing noticeable. I'd take the lower bolt/handle unit out and see if it fits in the empty hole. That's where it belongs. You could then add another gib bolt to the newly vacated hole if you want.

Someone might have modified that bolt though so check it out. It should be long enough to push up on the table gib, and the tip should be gently rounded and/or have the threads turned off a short nub so they're not damaged by the pressure and turning against the gib.

That got it thanks! Now, one last question, sorry I am a newb.

The locks, are just that, locks right? They should not be used for normal adjustment? Is There is another adjustment screw somewhere that should be used or just these?

Thanks again for all the help!

They are all locks with one exception: the table 'lock' is used in a less than tight condition to provide a good sliding fit or a bit of drag for the table while running longitudinally. That's because there aren't any other points of adjustment on that gib between the far right and left ends. It is a sensitive adjustment that you'll develop a feel for. If you have a power feed you'll want to check how freely the table moves before engaging it.

And, you're quite welcome. Ask anytime.

Back