What's new
What's new

Milwaukee M18 battery trouble

I have several Milwaukee M18 tools and have never had a lick of trouble with any of them Strange then, I ran a battery down and put it on the charger. the charge indicator goes red for a few seconds then turns green. The battery never charges, if you press the charge indicator on the battery the lowest indicator light flashes indicating a dead battery. If you try it in a tool it has enough power to illuminate the work light but not enough to run the tool. Ideas anyone?

I have no personal experience with them, but you tuber AvE has done a lot of tear downs of Milwaukee and other gear, and I recall he discharged a battery too much once, or twice and had to use some kind of power supply to get enough charge in it so it would charge again. The charger wouldn’t charge it as it though it was a faulty battery having too little charge. Might be the case, might not, but his videos might give some insight if no other. He used a brand new battery in this case that he discharged too much, so not a bad battery to start with,

I have 10 year old m18's that work damn near like new ones, so I believe they're solid performers.

I wonder what would happen if you tried a different charger? I think I have 5 of them.

Sent via CNC 88HS

I have a Dewalt 60V Flexivolt battery that acts exactly the same as yours. It failed only one month out of the 2 year warranty.

My research indicates that one of the 15 cells inside the case has probably gone bad, and the charger recognizes that something is off, and won't charge. Search You Tube. I plan to crack the case this winter, find the offending cell and replace it. Dewalt uses 18650 cells. If I had use for 14 of them I'd just pull the good ones out and use them elsewhere, but I only have one 18650 flashlight.

There is also a bunch of stuff in the battery on most, so , it is probably dead

One of the reasons I chose the cheapo Ryobi, not terrible tools, cheap batteries

they can self discharge below chargeable voltage if you discharge it completely and let it sit. I also have a weaker M18 battery that works fine as long as you don't heavily discharge it below 50%. If you do, one of the banks overdischarges and bricks the battery. I have to take it apart, charge each bank separately then it's fine.

Back