What's new
What's new

Milwaukee Mill Model H weight

There are multiple Model H mills - Horizontal, Universal and Vertical. There are also H and HL models. Which do you have and what is serial on left face of column?

John Oder

Usually there's a detachable vent cover on the right side of the machine at chest level giving the size and designation of the machine.On the left side of the machine there's a cast in type plate that has this info plus the serial #.

2H will have sliding vertical head - can't miss it - big casting sides up and down 4" in ways.

1H / 2HL will have fixed or swiveling vertical head, not a big sliding casting. Some of these had quills, others did not.

The latter about 2700 per later thirties catalog and the former about 4150

John Oder

The mill in "question" is a 2H and the S/N is 14 5211 with a 10x50 table. John it does have a sliding head. I couldn't see the motor at this time. Does anyone know the weight and horsepower? Thanks, Darrel

PS- There is no way we could go metric or drive on the wrong side. We have enough problems with this system.

The motor is inside the half round covers in the base. My guess is it was probably a 5 hp. Make sure the motor is there....sometimes things get stripped from mills going to salvage.

not only do you have the english metric issue but in the US you have the decimal, fraction issue. Not so much in a machine shop but in wood working and what other industries. I worked in a place where the shop was fractional because that is what people understood, but all commuication with the customers and all drawings were decimal. what a mess. I think the resistance to metric is a very negative thing.

Why not metric?!

I always thought that there might just be something to the metric argument until I worked for a German company and visited their facility in Germany. Two German techs were measuring some automotive components. One was measuring and calling out the dimensions (the measurements were being taken in a difficult place) and the other was writing them down. When they were through, they spent quite a bit of time scratching their heads and trying to figure out which dimensions were centimeters and which were millimeters. What nonsense! And these were people born to that awkward system, and should be most familiar with it.

The metric system's primary failure is its being held hostage by the number ten. It does not matter if the units are of a sensible size, wherever the 10 takes you, that's where you end up. Contrast this to the customary system, which has units that are of a sensible, convenient size, easily understood and hard to mix up. So keep on trying, metric folks - you won't pass your inconvenient and ill conceived system on to me!

Why isn't America metric ???

Why would we want to be? Changing an entire nations system of measurements is a very traumatic experience. The Government has been slowly trying to convert us, and it just causes confusion. I'm 67, and I can work in both systems, but the Millennial generation and younger can't do math without a calculator!! I've been converting back and forth for 40+ years. I even deduced how to convert between F and C without anyone's help. I am very comfortable working i tenths/hundredths/thousandths of an inch, so why change. The US is the most consumptive nation on earth, the rest of the world should be converting back to the Imperial system! JMHO!

The mill in "question" is a 2H and the S/N is 14 5211 with a 10x50 table. John it does have a sliding head. I couldn't see the motor at this time. Does anyone know the weight and horsepower? Thanks, Darrel

PS- There is no way we could go metric or drive on the wrong side. We have enough problems with this system.

I could go metric but driving on the left side of the road is nuts.

Back