Milwaukee Mill Model H weight - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree most people can't even read dates apparently.

2. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Mike View Post
    I agree most people can't even read dates apparently.
    and most of those are americans
    most of the world use day-month-year, the only sensibe system.

4. Likes Tyrone Shoelaces liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sa100 View Post
    I always thought that there might just be something to the metric argument until I worked for a German company and visited their facility in Germany. Two German techs were measuring some automotive components. One was measuring and calling out the dimensions (the measurements were being taken in a difficult place) and the other was writing them down. When they were through, they spent quite a bit of time scratching their heads and trying to figure out which dimensions were centimeters and which were millimeters. What nonsense! And these were people born to that awkward system, and should be most familiar with it.

The metric system's primary failure is its being held hostage by the number ten. It does not matter if the units are of a sensible size, wherever the 10 takes you, that's where you end up. Contrast this to the customary system, which has units that are of a sensible, convenient size, easily understood and hard to mix up. So keep on trying, metric folks - you won't pass your inconvenient and ill conceived system on to me!
    If I ever read a made up story the first part of this post qualifies. Only a person with no metric know how could come up with this. The rest is just as bad. Next time you visit your doctor ask for your flu shot in cubic inches or in ounces. Just to be certain you get the correct amount.
    This for your entertainmet. YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I could care less what measurement system is used. Furlongs and stone would work fine. But give me a hardware system, that is what matters. Metric, which one? Europe has ISO, Japan has JIS, and the Germans have DIN. Now quick, what is the hex size on a 10mm hex head cap screw? JIS-15mm, ISO-16mm, and DIN at 17mm. What a pile of crap. Here in the US we standardized bolt, screw, and nut sizes over 50 years ago.

I've got equipment with components built to all three standards on the same piece of machinery. Its a wrench's nightmare.

There is not one damn thing the metric system can do better than US customary units.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=gbent;3465606]I could care less what measurement system is used. Furlongs and stone would work fine. But give me a hardware system, that is what matters. Metric, which one? Europe has ISO, Japan has JIS, and the Germans have DIN. Now quick, what is the hex size on a 10mm hex head cap screw? JIS-15mm, ISO-16mm, and DIN at 17mm. What a pile of crap. Here in the US we standardized bolt, screw, and nut sizes over 50 years ago.

I've got equipment with components built to all three standards on the same piece of machinery. Its a wrench's nightmare.

There is not one damn thing the metric system can do better than US customary units.[/QUOTE

You know all the inch wrench sizes for every inch thread? If not - have fun looking for the next smaller or bigger size.

At least the thread is the same. As for doing things better in metric than in imperial - again, watch this:YouTube

All this will come to a final conclusion when the politicians in Washington see enough votes for metric or if finally some of our leaders will have enough guts to do what is needed for the survival of our country as an industrial nation. Don't count on this to happen soon. The metric train left the station many years ago and father time will take care of the few imperial leftovers. All could have been avoided if not for our shortsighted Pres. Reagan who by killing our move to metric put us back with the other two non-metric countries Burma and Liberia.
    Sorry, but this should not be in this thread and I am getting out of this subject. All was said many times before.