What's new
What's new

Minaturize a water jet cleaning gun?

rons

Diamond
I use this and it does good. About 2 feet long. Not a real powerful blast, but it's good enough and it won't strip off the car paint.

https://www.amazon.com/Guardair-79WGD-Syphon-Water-Cleaning/dp/B000189S0E

PLUG
(not bought from Amazon. Bought from Rutland Tool that MSC ruined)
END OF PLUG

Question: I thinking about making a small version of this for cleaning paint guns and small parts. Worth doing or have you done this route before?

I once had this piece of hose that could plug into a spray can top, the other end was a small brush. Was a idea that depends on the weak pressure from
a spray can. Looking for something small that can jet solvent into spray gun tip holes (smaller than most people's smallest drill bit).

I got this idea watching how a Abrams tank is rebuilt. They have not made a new one since 1992 or something like that. The entire body that has been stripped
is hoisted into a 30 foot tall chamber and with doors closed the thing is rotated while being shot with stainless steel media. Comes out looking new after 30mins.
A company like Sata will void a warranty if their gun is soaked for a length of time (seals damaged). Would be nice to hang it in a chamber and just spray it clean.
Been to a few autobody shops that let me have a tour. Was not impressed with what they use.

What about using a Waterpik? I haven't tried this, but I've thought about it. I'd imagine mineral spirits would destroy it, but maybe not. I'm waiting until a free one comes my way to try it.

What about using a Waterpik? I haven't tried this, but I've thought about it. I'd imagine mineral spirits would destroy it, but maybe not. I'm waiting until a free one comes my way to try it.

That's what I was thinking also. They are excellent for cleaning in small spaces. The pulsating action works much better than a steady stream.

Harbor Freight sells a really cheap sand blaster setup. The "wand" is about 10" long. Not really miniature but smaller then that device you sent the link to. It will develop quite a bit of suction and you can use it with just about any liquid (sand too if you want to go to the trouble and mess). I have used one to pump some really nasty crud out of inaccessible places by just dropping the pickup tube in whatever. Of course you have to beware that anything it pumps is going to be aerosolized. Might do what you want and as I said....very cheap. But it works. This little canister unit might work for you as well.

sand.jpgblaster.jpg

The spray bottles you can get at a big box store do not hold up. The pump device section always fails.

A squirt bottle (inverted and then squeezed) does not have enough pressure to wash a surface clean.

A airbrush would work but it's a expensive solution. It's actually degrading to use a airbrush that way.

Maybe study venturi action to design something myself.

We have several versions of similar things and they work.

A garden sprayer works very well, we get diferet sizes a yard sales for maybe 1 quart to a gallon or so.

Different quality wands and the 1 qt ones are fixed on unit.

Fill with whatever, pump it up and spray.

Water pick works well with watercompatable cleaners and alcohol, just run water through after use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Did you see in the video how the compartment has a bunch of spray heads pointing to the center where gun is hanging?
Like a modern home bathroom shower with multiple spray heads.

The video is using water. I need to use lacquer thinner. The brush with the water coming out is what I need to do first.
PVC tubing connected to the end of a brush. The other end inserted into a container of thinner. The container is pressurized.
The thinner flows through the brush using a foot peddle switch. It's a piece of metal that is connected to a flow enable valve?

I use this and it does good. About 2 feet long. Not a real powerful blast, but it's good enough and it won't strip off the car paint.

https://www.amazon.com/Guardair-79WGD-Syphon-Water-Cleaning/dp/B000189S0E

PLUG
(not bought from Amazon. Bought from Rutland Tool that MSC ruined)
END OF PLUG

Question: I thinking about making a small version of this for cleaning paint guns and small parts. Worth doing or have you done this route before?

I once had this piece of hose that could plug into a spray can top, the other end was a small brush. Was a idea that depends on the weak pressure from
a spray can. Looking for something small that can jet solvent into spray gun tip holes (smaller than most people's smallest drill bit).

I got this idea watching how a Abrams tank is rebuilt. They have not made a new one since 1992 or something like that. The entire body that has been stripped
is hoisted into a 30 foot tall chamber and with doors closed the thing is rotated while being shot with stainless steel media. Comes out looking new after 30mins.
A company like Sata will void a warranty if their gun is soaked for a length of time (seals damaged). Would be nice to hang it in a chamber and just spray it clean.
Been to a few autobody shops that let me have a tour. Was not impressed with what they use.

When I spent summers working on my uncle's farm in the mid 1950s, we had a similar device for cleaning machinery. The flexible pickup tube was put in a can of gasoline and with compressed air to the gun the grease and grime was easily removed from tractor engines or anything else that needed cleaning.

Bob
WB8NQW

Back