What's new
What's new

Mini Lathe - made in Europe

Hello,
does anyone knows if there is a company that made mini lathes in europe 100%? I found a German company "Optimum" but the lathes are made in china. Also I found two Austrian companies "Bernardo" and "HOLZMANN" but I am not sure that the lathes are manufactured in Austria.

Define "mini lathe." There were lots of small lathes made in various European countries. Some were very cheap and some very expensive, some rare and some common..

Here is an alphabetized list you can sort through at leisure. Lathes + Machine Tool Archive

Larry

Hello,
does anyone knows if there is a company that made mini lathes in europe 100%? I found a German company "Optimum" but the lathes are made in china. Also I found two Austrian companies "Bernardo" and "HOLZMANN" but I am not sure that the lathes are manufactured in Austria.

Profi 550 WQV - 230 V - with 2-axis digital readout - Bernardo

metal lathe / ED750FDQ 230V / metal lathe - HOLZMANN Maschinen GmbH

Those both scream "quality offshore" ie: China to me.

If you're looking for a small quality lathe made in Europe (Austria) find an Emco 7, 8, 10 or Super 11: Emco Lathes & Millers

There's a good group here: [email protected] | Topics

ps: don't be offended if this gets locked, check the sticky's above.

Wabeco are made in Germany. Scaublin make a range of small machines in Switzerland, Weiler make the praktikant in Germany but that may be too big.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

From the Holzmann website company chronology:
Foundation of the subsidiary HOLZMANN CHINA LTD in Hong Kong for monitoring and quality control of our productions in China and Taiwan.
(and that's not the first mention of china in their history)

Although I don't recommend it, let me mention Prazi/Prazimat, which I think was originally East German. Like its predecessor in my world, an Emco 5, it's not sufficiently rigid. I realize I'm in forbidden territory here, but I think the nature of question might allow an exception.

Hello,

Profi 550 WQV - 230 V - with 2-axis digital readout - Bernardo

metal lathe / ED750FDQ 230V / metal lathe - HOLZMANN Maschinen GmbH

I used to have a Wabeco lathe with the optional milling head . It was made in Germany.

Bernado is Chinese . Optimum is also Chinese

Other than Wabeco, I think Schaublin is the only European bench top lathe manufactuer. Weiler made a benchtop Primus.

There's a guy making nice watchmakers lathes in Italy and he donates half the profits to a trade shool but I can't remember the name.

Unitor is the itallian made machine. Still available i believe.

I believe the guy who makes the Unitor is over 90, nice looking little machine (no possibility to cut tapers though) but I don't think they will be made much longer.

past tense "made", there a lot of them. Did you mean "makes"? And what is a mini lathe?

Yes, OP, what size do you mean? Most machinists would consider a Schaublin 102 a baby lathe, most watchmakers see it as humongous.

I believe the guy who makes the Unitor is over 90, nice looking little machine (no possibility to cut tapers though) but I don't think they will be made much longer.

Yes, OP, what size do you mean? Most machinists would consider a Schaublin 102 a baby lathe, most watchmakers see it as humongous.

When I hear "mini lathe" , I envision a bench top lathe whose drive system is contained within the headstock or adjacent to it and without a manufacturer's metal base, such that you can set it on any table.

Some examples of high quality benchtop lathes:

Weiler Primus benchtop

Schaublin 102N-VM benchtop

Wabeco D4000

Above are the only European ones I can think of. Weiler still makes the Primus but do not know if they still make the benchtop version. Schaublin still makes the benchtop version of the 102N and a cast iron base version of the 102N-VM so maybe they still make a benchtop version of the 102N-VM?

Do you consider UK to be part of Europe, geographically if not union?

One of the most popular small benchtop lathes in UK was Myford. ML7, Super7 etc Very widely used by model engineers and 100% British. Should still be plenty around, but I don't have any direct knowledge of the current marketplace.

I contact with a seller that sold lathes and told me that in Europe doesn't manufactured lathes anymore because of a law that deny the use of some chemicals that used at the fabrication of the lathes and all the lathes are mostly made in china or turkey. These lathes that they write for instance made in Germany are the parts that assembly in Germany and not the lathes at 100%. Does anyone have ever here that?

I contact with a seller that sold lathes and told me that in Europe doesn't manufactured lathes anymore because of a law that deny the use of some chemicals that used at the fabrication of the lathes and all the lathes are mostly made in china or turkey. These lathes that they write for instance made in Germany are the parts that assembly in Germany and not the lathes at 100%. Does anyone have ever here that?

Not surprising, they do the same with cars assembled here stateside. In fact I recall seeing on window stickers the actual percentage of domestic vs. imported parts, somewhere around 30% US parts and 70% imported IIRC.

" I contact with a seller that sold lathes and told me that in Europe doesn't manufactured lathes anymore because of a law that deny the use of some chemicals that used at the fabrication of the lathes and all the lathes are mostly made in china or turkey. These lathes that they write for instance made in Germany are the parts that assembly in Germany and not the lathes at 100%. Does anyone have ever here that? "

This makes no sense. Lathes ARE still made in Europe- and lots of other machine tools- just not as many of the small less expensive ones. That market has shifted to China, which has inexpensive labor and fewer regulations. I do not recall seeing any small lathes made in Turkey, but that does not mean there are not any. The technology and skills to make a small lathe are widespread. The desire to do so given the market is a different matter.

Yes, machine tools are going to have components from a variety of countries. That in itself does not mean much. The manufacturer is responsible for the quality and suitability of the components they use. That does not mean they have to make them all themselves.

Back