What's new
What's new

Minimum Land for Inserts

Howdy_Goober

Plastic
We grind our own punches and inserts for out stamping processes. Each insert has roughly .375in worth of land when new. We have ground down a good bit of the land at this time. We are not seeing any performance issues. However, I am concerned that if the land becomes too thin that we may have a failure. Is there a rule of thumb of what the minimum thickness of the land should be until it is no longer worth using?

I believe I understand what he means, but he gives no pertain information to make a decision with. He could be stamping out cookies from a sheet of dough for all we know.

We are stamping .055 sheet metal into circles. The land in the tooling is the cutting area that is used to shear the material. The sheared surface is called a slug. The slug is pushed pass the "Land" by the punch. Once pass the land, the opening in the insert opens up to allow the slug to freely fall through the die.

Hope this helps.

We used to use 1 1/2 times the material thickness as a minimum, but not sure where that really came from. You need enough so the punch doesn't pull the slug, but other than that, I see no reason to use whatever works. Is the thickness of the die going to be a strength issue?

We use a tapered wall below the land you can go all the way if you use a tapered wall
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back