What's new
What's new

Missing thread charts & info plates on AFM TUE-40 Lathe from 1973

Emrik

Plastic
Hello! I just received an old lathe manufactured by the Polish company AFM. It seems to be made in 1973 and the model is TUE-40.

All information regarding the chuck rpm, thread turning settings etc are missing and i wonder if anyone here has the same lathe and could post some pictures of the various information plates/charts (not sure what to call them) i will link to an imgur album with some pictures of the lathe in question.

Thanks in advance!

Imgur album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I own a TUE-40 and the complete manual with 23 pages of drawings plus 50 pages of description. All in german.
If you are interested in any specific detail, send me a PM please.

It's a classic production lathe and I have had great fun with it. For some reason I haven't used it as much as I imagined so have just decided to get rid of a my machines. I think I have explored all corners so if you need any spcial info I just might supply it.

Best regards, fusker

Wow! That sounds great, I'll be sending a PM after I've taken some better pictures of the missing tables/plates, thank you so much!

My TUE-40 is from 1964 but looks very much like your photos except for some unimportant details. Your lathe seems to have had a rougher time than mine, judging from the worn look of the plates.
Where do you live? If its not too far from Gilleleje (within sight of Helsingborg) you might save some time coming around here.
fusker

One place I worked at had taken several of those lathes in a sort of barter deal with a Polish State machinery organisation back in the early 1970's. They were in exchange for some rubber machinery.

I thought they were decent lathes. They were pretty well put together and quite accurate.

Regards Tyrone.

My TUE-40 is from 1964 but looks very much like your photos except for some unimportant details. Your lathe seems to have had a rougher time than mine, judging from the worn look of the plates.
Where do you live? If its not too far from Gilleleje (within sight of Helsingborg) you might save some time coming around here.
fusker

I live near Linköping in Östergötland,Sweden so sadly It's a bit too far but thank you for the offer :)

One place I worked at had taken several of those lathes in a sort of barter deal with a Polish State machinery organisation back in the early 1970's. They were in exchange for some rubber machinery.

I thought they were decent lathes. They were pretty well put together and quite accurate.

Regards Tyrone.

That's reassuring to hear, thanks!

I've sent you a PM fusker but I'm unsure if it went through since my "sent items" folder thingy is still empty:confused:

Got the same lathe at work with the same blank charts. Whoever had the idea to just print the charts, instead of engraving or stamping the numbers, should be shot, hung, buried, then dug up and shot again. I just leave a three jaw chuck on it to keep the rest of the monkeys at work off my nice lathes, that live with four jaw chucks on the spindle.

On my lathe the charts are printed on brass labels and can still be read after fifty years of intermittent but careful use. The labels are fixed with 'hammer screws' ( a kind of small rivets ). These labels are not very solid and are subject to wear and even removal in 'industrial settings' (careless operators).
I have copies printed on paper in rhe manual and I plan some day to have them engraved or photo etched on solid brass plate.
fusker

Every other lathe I have ever used has either raised or stamped letters on the chart and is useable, no matter how old... to include my 100yr old L&S. The ink used on these machines is pitiful.

As your inbox was full I couldn't send you my email adress but I've sent an email to you named "TUE-40 Emrik" instead.

What kind of motor oil is required? 10w40? And how much of it? I have tue 40 constructed in 1971.

Sorry, Iancapo, my TUE-40 manual has disappeared. You might try and contact Emrik who had a copy from me IIRC, otherwise wait until I get my act together.

I don't think the type of oil is critical however. The oil used for your car gear box should be okay, after all this old lathe is very tolerant. I use what my previous employer called 'hydraulics oil', it was used for all our lathes.
And how much? I usually pour something like 3 deciliters in the norton box (the frontal gear box) or until the surplus makes a mess on the floor (remember to check the oil wicks). The main spindle gears: Unscrew the top and fill up until you see the cog wheels are dipped. For the linear guides and the transport spindles etc. just use a grease gun.
The TUE-40 is a rugged old beast and is very forgiving.
May I ask, where did you obtain it? I think you will get to like it, as I did.
Regards, fusker

Found it.
The oil is decribed as follows (in german):
Maschinenoel 6 ('machine oil') PN-55/C-96071 SAE Nr. 10
Relative viscosity 4.98 - 7.07 (E), 150 - 215 (Redwood), 168 - 250 (Saybolt, sec.)
Kinematische visc. 36 - 52 (Centistoke)
all at 50 centigrades.
Machineoil 6 is used for slow turning, medium and heavily loaded shafts.
Main spindle gearbox to be filled until viewing glass indicating. First oil shift at 200 hours, later every 800 hours.
Norton gear box to be filled every 6 days, 0.4 litres.
Front assembly 2.5 litres (glass indicator(inspection glass)), oil shift as above.
Open gears (left side): Oil and grease at 200/800 hours and according to need.
Motor: Grease every 6 months.

Note: This supposedly concerns a lathe used every day in a machine shop!
fusker

Afm tue 40 lathe

fusker

hello, I have recently purchased a TUE 40,i was searching online and found this forum. I read your replys and was hoping I could persuade you to send me the same information as my charts are also missing. my lathe is supposed to be in the 60's. I was surprised and pleased to discover this forum. I live in Texas, about 60 miles north of Dallas. I thought I must be the only person left owning one of these lathes. it is really good to know I am not alone. thanks.

TUE-40 thread charts:
The chart nailed to the gear box is nearly unreadable on my lathe and there is some information that I found difficult to understand.
I finally undertook to investigate and test properly.
Please send me a PM if you need info.
Regards, fusker

joeb118:

Well there is at least one still around. It is in Reno NV, and in a shop I am cleaning out for my Best Friend who passed away in November.

I am looking for a Manual to pass on with it when we sell it. I am glad that they have a good reputation as Seig used it for years in his shop for just about anything needed for his Race Cars and what ever else passed his way.

If you run across manual please let me know.

Thanks,

Chuck McClurg
Carson City, NV

Back