What's new
What's new

Mitchell of Keighley lathe

Buldog

Plastic
I have got a new to me lathe it is a Mitchell of keighley But I can not find any information or another lathe like mine in fact finding very little information on the Mitchell Company at all

D50FE3C8-458F-4BDA-A8E5-EFA2C0C60CA8.jpg
C4A46D53-4C95-40E5-8118-7CDD902BC700.jpg
768D9F4B-E2ED-4AD5-8264-31A674593BDC.jpg
8A6ACF6A-FEC4-4B4A-86B3-130A48790042.jpg

Attachments

• C145B032-8940-402B-B7F2-93F0541F99EB.jpg
    C145B032-8940-402B-B7F2-93F0541F99EB.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 195
Yes I have read this thank you sadly mine is like none of them lathes i’m very surprised that there is very little information on the company is unusual to not have any information really on such wonderful piece of machinery

Yes I have got the Gap bed as well It came with loads of bits for it they all look genuine to the machine two chucks to faceplates several different stays

This is how it looks after 48 hours of work all the faults of been found and repaired everything Now has been unseized and moves very well very very little slop looks like I only have to get one screw thread made up very happy with that it is most ready for it new paint
image.jpg
image.jpg

The "lathesuk" entry has no relevance to Mitchells of Keighley.......if you want a manual,try one of the manual sales sites .,like "million manuals" or even "budget machines " who has some older manuals for very reasonable prices.....However ,dont expect to get any more than a parts list and installation diagram.

There a number of Mitchell lathes on google images of the same style as yours....it may have been their only design made in different sizes.....They certainly all have the same quite unusual bed shears.

Buldog,

There are a lot of surviving Mitchell of Keighley lathes here in NZ. When older lathes are advertised locally, I keep the photos. I just checked and found photos of 37 separate Mitchells seen for sale in the last few years.

Most are fairly large lathes, long beds with gap. My guess is they were not expensive. Maybe a good-sized spindle bore for the time.

I used a large Mitchell once or twice when I was an apprentice. I seem to recall the cross slide graduations indicated radius, not diameter :rolleyes5:.

Also, a sign had been screwed to the headstock warning the user not run it at the highest spindle speed for too long. I am sure there was a bad story to go with that sign. Plain bearings I think, but I have a brochure stating Gamet bearings were used on some models.

I had a browse through my photos and found 4 others with (I think) similar features to yours.

486350991.jpg 679236802.jpg 1373331010.jpg 1443626712.jpg

Last edited:
But once it was a hive of industry, it’s now Yorkshire’s version of Detroit
We’ll never get used to the way the world changes, well I won’t, I’m sure, machinery, cars everything, I watched a renovation of a corvette on a channel, the adverts came on, another bland formless electric golf buggy they called a car, it was an insult to call it design.
I’ve used a few Mitchell lathes in the 70s, a lot were installed in college settings as a precursor to industrial machines like DSG etc, very robust machines, hard to break.
Mark

But once it was a hive of industry, it’s now Yorkshire’s version of Detroit
We’ll never get used to the way the world changes, well I won’t, I’m sure, machinery, cars everything, I watched a renovation of a corvette on a channel, the adverts came on, another bland formless electric golf buggy they called a car, it was an insult to call it design.
I’ve used a few Mitchell lathes in the 70s, a lot were installed in college settings as a precursor to industrial machines like DSG etc, very robust machines, hard to break.
Mark

I’ve seen them in maintenance shops also. Cheap and cheerful lathe.

Regards Tyrone.

Thank you they all look just like mine did they got any idea on the age of the lathes?

Back