What's new
What's new

Mitee-Bite Fixture Clamp question

AlfaGTA

Diamond
Lots of machining experience, none using the Mitee-Bite fixture clamps.
Have a project that requires holding a large diameter (14" OD) iron ring that is relatively thin (.2" thick)
Need to hold the ring on a press platen inverted so that the ring is held against a flat plate and not fall .
Ring must be held flat to the plate and also located radially to the center of the plate.
I have aprox .190" of grip height at the edge of the ring where it meets the platen
Must hold the ring from the outside.

Question:
Looks like the fixture clamp # 10207 will fit my size restraints. 10-32 bolt .160" height
How exactly do these work...I get the cam action screw, but what if the bolt gets tight on the clamp when its moving away from the part, won't that loosen the grip rather than making it tight?
Can i use these clamps to adjust the centering of the ring...like a 4 jaw chuck?
No machining loads here , just need to hold the ring in place against gravity. Total weight of the ring 7# give or take

Alternative suggestions welcome..
Cheers Ross

I use these clamps 1/4-20
Fixture Clamps | Mitee-Bite Products LLC.

I use them to hold cast iron gibs when they lay on a flat steel bar when I am scraping the gibs. They work well for me. I see they have an 800 number, why not call them and ask them? I see on one of the styles they have a female radius and serrated sides. I would call them and ask the factory engineers. They will help and do it for free so you buy them.

Alpha,

I believe they would work, though, the centering of the ring on the plate, would need to be done with some form of rigid locating stops/ dowels/ rails/ etc.
I do not think you will be easily able to adjust the ring to center on the plate with just cam-style clamps alone.

I would think that the Pitbull style ( Pitbull(R) Clamps | Mitee-Bite Products LLC. ) would be a better solution to your problem. Maybe....

....I get the cam action screw, but what if the bolt gets tight on the clamp when its moving away from the part, won't that loosen the grip rather than making it tight?....
Cheers Ross

You have no control over when the clamp ring is bottomed out true, but wherever the cam engages within that last revolution of the screw bottoming the screw is still moving downward and the sharp edge of the screw sort of digs in and pulls the hex downward slightly as it cams in.

Back