What's new
What's new

Mitts & Merrill Hydraulic Key Seater Question

gmach10

Hot Rolled
Morning everyone hope everyone is enjoying the last day of March. 27 degrees out with a 15 degree windchill factor here in Chicago. Here's what I have. I have to broach an 1 1/2" keyway in a part. Simple enough. With out getting into is the part round, square, oblique, what material is it? All I'm asking is how parallel and perpendicular are the edges of the table to the cutting axis of the machine. Are the sides of the keyway parallel to the sides of the table and is the root of the keyway parallel to the front of the table? I'll get some straight edges out tomorrow and measure it but just wondering if anyone has checked this on these same machines? I was hoping to put layout lines on the part and use a surface gage to place the part where it needs to be.

As always, Thanks for any and all advice. Glenn

Should be square and parallel.
Do you have set-up fixtures? Making a slotted sleeve to fit the bore and locate to the post?
I always did a layout.
John
Here is a photo of some set-up fixtures.
Mitts set-up fixtures.jpg

Some of our larger clamping fixtures are missing so I have to do what I have to do. The job is enlarging an existing keyway. I need to make sure side to side it's located properly. Our table has threaded holes in it. I plan on locating the part and using studs and clamps to hold it in place. I got this job handed to me because someone else tried, the part moved, BANG!!! I'll let you know what happens. Depending on what I see tomorrow a slotted sleeve might be made. Thanks for the reply.

On a Davis, you can center on the guide post or with a v-block type centering fixture. Those both center using a slot in the table. Morrison keyseaters use v-block like centering fixture that locates in a slot in the table that is centered on the post. Seems odd that Mitts do not have a similar arrangement, but I suppose the Mitts centering fixtures are meant to do the same thing. Its tough when you are missing tooling. And yes the post should be square to the table in both directions.

Back