What's new
What's new

Mitutoyo dial caliper copper gib strip not staying in position

Chris Attebery

Cast Iron
I've had this set of calipers for a few years and I've never had any issues with them. The other day I went to use them and noticed that the copper gib strip had moved out from the end of the head. I've tried readjusting the screws but it keeps moving. There is a hole in one end of it. What should that hole be aligned with?

Thanks,

Chris

IMG-7514.jpg

Yep. One of the screws is a dog-point, it locks into the hole or notch to prevent the gib sliding out. You probably don't have it aligned correctly if it's sliding out. When installed correctly you shouldn't be able to see the gib sticking out past the housing, it should be tucked inside at both ends. It's a little tricky since the gib is bowed like a leaf spring - the leading end tends to hang up on the way in. Once it sticks, use a toothpick or paper clip to push down inside the hole (gib screws both removed) by the leading end, that should allow you to push it the rest of the way in. Look down the hole to see when the notch is lined up, then put the dog-point screw in.

20200327_133738.jpg

You're welcome. Don't forget to clean and oil the caliper and the gib while you have it apart. Gave me a good opportunity to do mine. I added a micro-dot of blue loctite to the side of the screws after they were started in the holes too. That way the adjustment doesn't loosen up over time.

Back