What's new
What's new

Mitutoyo dial caliper depth calibration

gwbeyer

Plastic
I've had my Mitutoyo 505-626 6" dial caliper for almost 40 years now and just discovered the depth measurement end of the rack cover has gone out of calibration by about.012". In other words, when the jaws are completely closed, the depth measuring end is below flush by about that amount. I have dropped the caliper only twice in all that time, but that must be the issue. I don't see any way to re-position this part, and really don't want to take the caliper apart without some information on how to proceed. Thanks in advance for any help you can pass along.

Gary

Depth rod of calipers isn't really intended for precision work -- not a stable enough base or a robust enough rod to stand up to much use or misuse.

With the jaws accurately set to zero (#1 priority) could could carefully grind the ends square and flush. If you want to be more sure of being within a few thousandths, could also add a depth base.

I can't believe that the depth rod is part of the same piece as the body of the slider. It must be attached somehow. Twelve thousandths is a large error: I would look harder for that attachment means before grinding the end of the caliper. Or send it to a repair service.

I've had my Mitutoyo 505-626 6" dial caliper for almost 40 years now and just discovered the depth measurement end of the rack cover has gone out of calibration by about.012". In other words, when the jaws are completely closed, the depth measuring end is below flush by about that amount. I have dropped the caliper only twice in all that time, but that must be the issue. I don't see any way to re-position this part, and really don't want to take the caliper apart without some information on how to proceed. Thanks in advance for any help you can pass along.

Gary

I have a Mit 6" that was like that new, but it was .020" short. I didn't realize it for a long time- never used that measurement on that caliper.

One day I noticed it when checking a hole depth. It was out of warranty, but I complained anyway, since it had spent it's whole life in my tool box and was barely used.

My tool guy sent it back to Mit, who said "too bad, out of warranty" and sent it back.

Then a year or so later I went to buy a new 8" dial caliper, and I told my salesman that I didn't want another Mit from Brazil- I wanted a Japanese one. He asked me why, and I reminded him about the 6" and their refusal to make it right.

He asked me to give him another chance- okay. He sent it back to Mitutoyo a second time, and that time they warrantied it. It took a while, but in the end they made it right.

Back