What's new
What's new

Mitutoyo digital caliper disassembly?

maxh

Hot Rolled
My favorite 6" Mitutoyo digimatic calipers are suddenly not working. I've tried a fresh battery that works in my other ones, but still it won't turn on. I have no idea what's wrong; they worked a couple of days ago and stay at my desk. I think I got a tiny blob of solder spatter right at the edge of the display yesterday as shown by the arrow in the below pic, but it's hard to imagine that being the death of my calipers.

Does anybody know how to disassemble these? I removed the screw that holds on the plastic that contains the thumbwheel, but can't find any other screws (besides the two at the top that don't seem to hold on the case), and before prying on something too hard and breaking the case, thought I'd ask here.

attachment.php

Attachments

• mitutoyo.jpg
    mitutoyo.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 17,003
If they're at all like the older models there are 4 small screws on the back under the sticker that hold the plastic case halves together. Take those out and the halves should separate, the PC is help in place with 2 screws, removing those should release the buttons.

I've found that a careful cleaning of contacts and buttons usually restores functioning in those that battery replacement did not return (last time I had a couple of bad spare batteries, so you might want to make sure to use one that works elsewhere first).

You need to peal the label off the back. The screws that hold it together are under it. That said, why take it apart?, there is nothing you can repair inside anyway. Make sure the contacts for the battery are clean, A bad connection here will shut it down. If all else fails send it to Mitutoyo for repair. The most you will pay is half of new price even if they just send you a new one.

Thanks for the responses; I wondered if there were any screws hiding under the label. I didn't know they had such a repair policy; perhaps I will send it in after all.

BTW, for anybody else that comes across this thread, I found a PDF showing all of the parts for this caliper:
http://www.mitutoyo.com/Images\002\281\500-196-20.pdf
I guess I should have searched a little harder before posting...
Here's the list of all of their other parts break down pages:
Render

Actually, taking them apart is a great idea. Make a mental note of where the copper shims are located between the circuit board and the scale, as well as which 3 holes the tiny phillips head screws go back into. There is a tiny rectangular rubber/graphite strip that connects the circuit board to the LED. Make sure you wipe off any oil on it while you have it apart and rub a pencil eraser on the contact areas to clean off any corrosion.

I have only run into a coulple that couldn't be repaired just by cleaning over the last 9 years. Those had running numbers that wouldn't stop and became organ doners.

i was looking for answers as my mitutyo model CD 6" csx would not start after battery replacement so i visited with my friendy tech guy + former ducati dealer who had the same + thats why i bought mine. after comparing both he noticed the one contact was bent flat + not like his functional one, so a keen eye + a gentle bend + it WORKS!!! i must have caught it when i changed the battery + prolly without my specs as it was a simple job!

i was looking for answers as my mitutyo model CD 6" csx would not start after battery replacement so i visited with my friendy tech guy + former ducati dealer who had the same + thats why i bought mine. after comparing both he noticed the one contact was bent flat + not like his functional one, so a keen eye + a gentle bend + it WORKS!!! i must have caught it when i changed the battery + prolly without my specs as it was a simple job!

Yep, lets keep those 9 year old threads updated!

Back