What's new
What's new

Mitutoyo digital calipers error codes/info

stevewatr

Stainless
Some of this may be redundant information, but I figured I'd post this in case it might be helpful.

Just bought my second used Mitutoyo calipers, and there was no owners manual in the box, in fact the box was for a different model.

If you buy your calipers new, they come with a manual, and most of the info you need is in there.

I'd like to encourage others to add to this thread with additional pearls of wisdom. I also encourage anyone to "like" this thread, because I am insecure, and constantly need to be acknowledged by my peers :o

Error codes:

For late model Digimatic series

Error Symptoms and Remedies:

1) “ErrC” and display flickering: Appear when the scale surface is stained. The surface
of the scale should be cleaned and a small amount of low viscosity oil should be applied to repel water.

2) “E” at the LSD: Appears if the slider is moved at a high speed. This does not affect measurement results.
NOTE
If “E” is displayed when the slider is not being moved, the caliper is in the same state as that of “ErrC”. Use the “ErrC” remedy.

3) “B” indicator: Appears when the battery voltage is low. Immediately replace the battery.

For earlier Digimatic series

1) “E” at the least significant digit:
Appears if the scale surface is too contaminated to count. Wipe off the scale cover surface.
NOTE
Reinstall the batteries when “E” indicator stays on after the scale cover surface is wiped off. If “E” indicator still persists after reinstalling the batteries, first remove the batteries and contact the nearest Mitutoyo office.

2) “B” indicator:
Appears when the battery voltage is low. Immediately replace the batteries. (For details, refer to the section [2].)

3) Same numbers for all 5 digits or flashing “H”: Remove the battery once and set it again.

4) Other errors:
If the errors in the figure left appear, reset the origin point.

The figure to the left referred to above is a tiny picture in the manual showing various errors like 5 zeros, any number followed by an "E", and "Err-5", all have the same remedy, reset the origin point.

Most of the Digimatic Coolant proof (IP66, IP67) models share these error codes:

1) “E” at the least significant digit:
Appears if the scale surface is too contaminated to count. Wipe off the scale cover surface.
NOTE
Reinstall the batteries when “E” indicator stays on after the scale cover surface is wiped off. If “E” indicator still persists after reinstalling the batteries, first remove the batteries and contact the nearest Mitutoyo office.

2) “B”,“low battery icon”,“Err-b” indicator: Appears when the battery voltage is low. Immediately replace the batteries. (For details, refer to the section [2].)

3) ”Err-oF”, “Err-SE” indicator (Err-SE: inch/mm model):
When the display value or the preset value exceeds ±9999.99mm (±99.9995in), ”Err-oF” or “Err-SE” is shown in the display. Err-oF: If the slider is restored within the display range, the counting starts again. Perform presetting and correctly set the origin again. Err-SE: Press the ▶ switch shortly to set the origin again correctly.

4) Same numbers for all 6 digits or flashing “H”:
Remove the battery once and set it again.

5) Other errors:
If the errors in the figure left appear, reset the origin point.

Super Caliper

You'll never see an error code on the Super caliper because as soon as it self detects an error, it flys itself back to Japan for immediate remediation, then flies back to you.

But in case your windows are closed and it can't fly away:

1) “E” at the least significant digit If the surface of the scale is soiled then calculation cannot be performed.

2) Other errors If any of the errors in the table on the left appears, operate the switch again with the illumination intensity at approximately 300 lx or more.
NOTE
If “E” is displayed when the slider is not being moved, the caliper is in the same state as that of “other errors” . Use the “other errors” remedy.

So the other errors in the tiny picture are:

Err o, Err d, Err g = defualt setting error

Err E = EEPROM data error

Err b = low illuminance error (solar powered)

Here is a link to the Mitutoyo's owners manuals:

MITUTOYO | Support | User's Manuals

Hope some one finds this helpful.

Steve W.

Funny thing happened. My ip67 coolant proof model suddenly started flashing all dashes, no digits.

I googled ip67 absolute error codes, and found this post from 3 years ago, read it, then realized I posted it lol.

So here's one I missed:

Absolute ip67 coolant proof error:
Flashing "-----------------"
Resetting the origin point seems to have resolved it. Not sure what caused it.

Steve W.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Back