What's new
What's new

Mitutoyo DRO Scale Error?

steamandsteel

Aluminum
Hello,

I have a Mitutoyo Digimatic DRO Display, Code No. 982-537-1. It's seen better days - (damage not done by me) but the fact of the matter is it has worked and served me well. I had taken the unit off the machine to clean a few things on the machine. When I turned on the scale, seemed okay. Fired the machine up, and all of a sudden I lost my Y axis, and the display read E 3 across the display.

I took the box apart, cleaned and checked all the connections. Contact cleaner, etc.

Hooked X scale to Y port, works. X scale to X port, works.

This leads me to believe the Y scale is the culprit. I've attached some pictures, and am looking for advice on what to do.

1. It's a working system. Is it possible to buy an import 16" scale that is compatible with this unit? Looks like a serial connector
2. Given the condition, is it only a matter of time before the X or the box go out, and should I buy all new? If so, recommendations?

Thank you in advance..

IMG_3642.jpg
IMG_3643.jpg
IMG_3644.jpg
IMG_3645.jpg

Hello,

Digimatic scales used a unique data transfer protocol developed by Mitutoyo. If I am not mistaking, it is a 52 bit serial protocol which sends an absolute value to the monitor. Majority of DRO scales on the market use incremental quadrature protocol, so they will not be compatible with your readout.

I am not aware of anyone offering adapters for Digimatic. Your options would be to either try finding a used Digimatic scale or replace the entire system

How are you aligning the reader head to the scale? Are there temporary brackets for installation? All the glass scales I have installed (dozens) have had alignment brackets to put the reader head incorrect position relative to the scale for mounting, then the brackets are removed once the reader head is affixed to the machine.

I have seen a similar error while using a accu-rite DRO, take the Y scale off and use a Q-tip soaked in high % alcohol and clean the glass on both sides until the tip is clean. When you reassemble be sure that it isn't in a bind, hope that helps!

Back