What's new
What's new

Mitutoyo GML-3705 DRO Power Supplies Fixed

BigToys

Aluminum
A couple of years ago I was at one of my favorite machinery dealers and they were throwing away a couple of Mitutoyo GML 3705 Digital Readout systems that came off of some old Bridgeport mills. Both were "dead", meaning that when you turned them on, the displays remained off. I later bought a couple more Mitutoyo DRO boxes that were also "dead" with the hopes that between four units, I could salvage at least one DRO box.

Working with an electronic engineer friend, we found the cause of the problem which all 4 DRO boxes had, and were able to fix them. In brief, a couple of capacitors on the circuit boards wear out and cause a short circuit, which in turn, causes a thermal cutoff in the transformer to overheat and open, disabling the power supply. Since all four units had the exact same problem, there's probably others out there that also have this issue. Below are the details of the repair.

To confirm that the power supply is broken, check the power on connector CNB, the white one in the center of board COUNT2. It has both DC to supply the logic and AC to run the displays. The pin/wire colors are 1= Brown, 2= Black, 5= Red, 6= Black, 7= Yellow and 8= Black. When working correctly, the voltages should be - across pins 1-2 is 35 VDC, 5-6 is 5.5 VDC, 7-8 and 8-9 is 12 VAC, 7-9 is 24 VDC with pin 8 bias to +5.5 VDC.

In my experience, no power on the CNB connector means the thermal cutoff fuse located WITHIN the transformer itself, hidden out of sight, is burnt out. The primary transformer winding is thus an open circuit. This can be verified by measuring the resistance between the common black primary winding lead (black) and the 120VAC tap (orange). By working carefully with patience, it's possible to open the metal casing of the transformer and replace the 126 deg. C thermal cutoff. It is connected to the black primary lead and located under a couple layers of insulating paper. I used a Radio Shack replacement, Thermal Fuse 270-1322 rated at 264 Deg F, 129 Deg C, and used some glass cloth tape for additional insulation.

To check for shorts on the circuit boards, remove connector CNB and measure with an ohmmeter between pins 1-2 on the (attached) pair of circuit boards. With working boards, you get 600 ohms; with the probes reversed you get 6000 ohms. As was the case with all four of my units, there was 0 ohms, indicating a dead short in one or both of the circuit boards.

Each of the circuit boards has a 10uF, 35V tantalum capacitor across the 35 VDC rail (C12 on board COUNT1 and C72 on board COUNT2). Unfortunately, when these capacitors fail, they short. Both capacitors were shorted, so I replaced them with tantalum 10uF, 50V caps, which have a higher voltage rating and hopefully will not break down in the future.

So that's the story, a few hours of labor, a few bucks in parts, and a few old workhorses have come back to life.

Attachments

• Mitutoyo Inside.jpg
    Mitutoyo Inside.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,198
Thanks for posting this information. I have the same problem. My unit has no power at the CNB connector, open circuit on the transformer winding across the black and orange wire and both c12 and c72 are shorted. I replaced the thermal fuse but still have open circuit on the primary winding. Do you think its reasonable to attempt further repair? Looks difficult to separate and locate break, but since replacement x-former doesn't appear to be an option maybe it can be fixed? Perhaps you have a unit you would like to sell?

I had the same issue. On my unit, C72 was OK, but C12 was shorted. Judging from your experience, dogfacedex, I replaced both of them. As for the transformer, I just used the gray 100V tap as the 0 point and soldered it onto the power switch in place of the black wire which is open out-of-circuit. And then I plugged in the voltage change plug so that it shows 240V. This connects the fuse to the 240V red tap. I think my secondary voltage is on the low side this way. But I'm pretty sure one could use the 110V - orange, or even the 120V - yellow as the 0 point to get higher secondary voltages if needed. Anyway, it works. It saves having to open the transformer, let along re-winding the transformer.

old tantalum caps are notorious for failing , sometimes exploding/catching fire ! i've always replaced them w/ polyester or electrolytic .

tants can be hi-temp + low esr ..... but often they were just used 'cause they were small - modern electroytics are often about the same size

if there's room in the enclosure - sometimes a bigger cap can be remotely mounted w/ insulated leads , or soldered to the back of the board if there's no room .

I changed several bushel baskets of them when working aircraft instruments.

Need to resurrect this post again to say a big thanks to Big Toys. Thanks for writing this up. I got my DRO working using this information. My C72 cap was bad. C12 turned out to be OK but since it was already desoldered, I put a new one in. Thermal fuse in the power supply also was bad so that got changed out and presto...I have position again.
For whom it might help, getting into the power supply was easy with a vice stop threaded together backwards to make it a jack screw. The edges fit between the sheet metal covers on the power supply and are easily persuaded apart by turning the screw.

A couple of years ago I was at one of my favorite machinery dealers and they were throwing away a couple of Mitutoyo GML 3705 Digital Readout systems that came off of some old Bridgeport mills. Both were "dead", meaning that when you turned them on, the displays remained off. I later bought a couple more Mitutoyo DRO boxes that were also "dead" with the hopes that between four units, I could salvage at least one DRO box.

Working with an electronic engineer friend, we found the cause of the problem which all 4 DRO boxes had, and were able to fix them. In brief, a couple of capacitors on the circuit boards wear out and cause a short circuit, which in turn, causes a thermal cutoff in the transformer to overheat and open, disabling the power supply. Since all four units had the exact same problem, there's probably others out there that also have this issue. Below are the details of the repair.

To confirm that the power supply is broken, check the power on connector CNB, the white one in the center of board COUNT2. It has both DC to supply the logic and AC to run the displays. The pin/wire colors are 1= Brown, 2= Black, 5= Red, 6= Black, 7= Yellow and 8= Black. When working correctly, the voltages should be - across pins 1-2 is 35 VDC, 5-6 is 5.5 VDC, 7-8 and 8-9 is 12 VAC, 7-9 is 24 VDC with pin 8 bias to +5.5 VDC.

In my experience, no power on the CNB connector means the thermal cutoff fuse located WITHIN the transformer itself, hidden out of sight, is burnt out. The primary transformer winding is thus an open circuit. This can be verified by measuring the resistance between the common black primary winding lead (black) and the 120VAC tap (orange). By working carefully with patience, it's possible to open the metal casing of the transformer and replace the 126 deg. C thermal cutoff. It is connected to the black primary lead and located under a couple layers of insulating paper. I used a Radio Shack replacement, Thermal Fuse 270-1322 rated at 264 Deg F, 129 Deg C, and used some glass cloth tape for additional insulation.

To check for shorts on the circuit boards, remove connector CNB and measure with an ohmmeter between pins 1-2 on the (attached) pair of circuit boards. With working boards, you get 600 ohms; with the probes reversed you get 6000 ohms. As was the case with all four of my units, there was 0 ohms, indicating a dead short in one or both of the circuit boards.

Each of the circuit boards has a 10uF, 35V tantalum capacitor across the 35 VDC rail (C12 on board COUNT1 and C72 on board COUNT2). Unfortunately, when these capacitors fail, they short. Both capacitors were shorted, so I replaced them with tantalum 10uF, 50V caps, which have a higher voltage rating and hopefully will not break down in the future.

So that's the story, a few hours of labor, a few bucks in parts, and a few old workhorses have come back to life.
hi im new to the forum i recently purchased a bridgeport mill that came with exact model dro i plugged it in but wont turn on im not good with elelctronics LoL how much would it cost to repair thank you Mark

Back