What's new
What's new

Mitutoyo solar powered calipers, any good?

Shaybuilder

Cast Iron
Looking to buy a Mitutoyo solar powered calipers and am wondering what peoples experience with them is. Any good, do they go dead after sitting in a drawer over night or the weekend? My battery ones always seem to go dead when I need them.

I have them, and like them a lot. They are dead when you first take them out of drawer, but come back to life almost immediately once they see the light. They, don’t work in dim light but are fine in any space with reasonable illumination. It’s great not having to deal with the batteries, which is exactly why I bought mine.

Jon

Honestly I never got the "solar power" concept as it applies to calipers and the like. I don't know about you but my shop has a roof, and lighting is so so inside.
I have three pairs of regular Mits and the batteries (LR77) last at minimum 1.5 to 2 years, with daily usage. I don't know the price difference battery versus solar, but I would to venture to guess the solar cost a tad bit more.
Another little factoid; when you turn the caliper off, the only thing that is switched off is the display the screen. If for example when the instrument is switched off say at 0.0. Move it an inch out 1" and turn it on the display when turned back on will read 1".
I saw video where the draw on the battery was measured. The current draw for all intensive purposes was the same on or off (within a milliamp or 2).
I know you are thinking "Oh you saw it on you tube so it must be true.". Having a fair amount of EE training I can tell you the guy's set up to do the measurements was sound. Personally I wouldn't want "Solar" powered metrology anything for the following reasons:
Just another thing to flake out.
Probably cost a bit more.
When I go to do a measurement I just want pick up my calipers and measure, not screw around trying to find adequate light, then wondering is it powered enough to give me an accurate reading.
So unless you drive a powder blue Prius, re-cycle your toilet paper, and live in a house made of recycled tires. Just buy a good pair of Mits, and ignore the marketing wenk.

all my battery powered digital ones are not serviceable, batteries tend to go bad just when you need them.
all my calculators are solar powered, they are always serviceable....

I have a battery drawer. Not everything is solar powered and I also have a Mits 8" on every machines roll away. When one goes dead I sometimes need to walk for almost 10 steps to grab a good one.

I believe that "solar powered" is a misnomer. They are "light powered". I don't have a pair, but I have several light powered calculators. They don't require nearly as much light as sunlight provides, ordinary shop lighting is adequate. "Light powered" just doesn't have the marketing appeal that "solar powered" does.

Does 100% LED shop lighting affect these tools?

It will depend on the effective color temperature of the shop lights.

The LED actually emits ultraviolet (UV) light, which causes nearby phosphors to light up. Just like a fluorescent lamp, but no mercury arc to generate the UV. The color temperature (and thus the effectiveness at driving a silicon solar cell) will depend on the phosphors chosen.

Bluer is worse, but shop lights are pretty bright, so it may not make much difference. I bet that Miti uses a big enough solar cell.

I personally don't really trust solar panels, especially for such essential tools as a caliper. I can't imagine what to do if they use up all the charges at an inconvenient moment. It could be that there's no sun in the next few days, and there's no way to recharge. I'm all for classic mechanical calipers, I can give you a few reasons why I choose them:
1. they have a lifetime warranty in specialty stores; I've seen that. 2. They are cheaper than similar solar-powered ones. 3. They aren't afraid of water and cold, which is also important. Solar panels make sense for a flagpole Amazon.com: Solar Flag Pole Light, Lasts 2X Longer Than Competition, Super Bright Flag Pole Lights, 100% Flag Coverage, Fits Most Flag Poles, Flag Pole Lights Solar Powered, Bright Energy Saving LEDs - Vont : Patio, Lawn & Garden. It's outdoors and in the sun all day anyway.

Last edited:
Fwiw and misnamed or not the Mit. solar powered are what Mit, themselves call them. And they sure as hell don't need direct sunlight to power them up. The normal amount of shop lighting has always been enough for mine. Unlike a lot of people I make a point of actually checking any metrology equipment I buy just to be certain nothing incorrect somehow made it through any company's QC. I don't know about other brands of what I'd call decent digital calipers, Mahr, Starrett etc. But without doubt my 6" Mit. solars are hands down the smoothest and have the best repeatable accuracy tested on good gauge blocks I've had my hands on yet. Both my Mit. dial calipers are good, but no where near what my solar's are. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set. There more than accurate enough where I'd trust caliper measurements to keep me within. Anything under maybe .003"-005" of being certain that's time for a mike anyway. Under ideal conditions mine are probably good to at least .0015"

Have had one in daily use for 15 years, purchased used at a flea market. Needs to be close to a light source for changing from metric to English. One of the best tools ever. 003.JPG001.jpg001.jpg

The other fact that deserves mention is that battery-powered Mitutoyo calipers need a battery change only every 2 or 3 years! I hear people complaining about their generic or other branded calipers eating batteries. My Mits are so efficient and batteries so long-lasting I don’t even bother to turn them off. How Mitutoyo designed their circuit different than all the rest I would like to know.

Denis

Back