What's new
What's new

Mo Max...

Mark P.

Aluminum
Have a bunch of lathe bits labeled Mo Max Cobalt bits made by Cleveland tool. I asked the scrap buyer and they never heard of them so he had no idea on value. Do I put them in the auction, sell them for scrap or just toss? There are a bunch of non-insert lathe tools. The Mo Max, other similar makes, some bits with non ground edges and then the kind with brazed carbide.

I think they would be easy to sell here. Make up some sets and give it a try. Number in set determined by moderate price and efficient shipping.

I think they would be easy to sell here. Make up some sets and give it a try. Number in set determined by moderate price and efficient shipping.

Probably the unground ones? What's a fair price for one 7/16x7/16?

Probably the unground ones? What's a fair price for one 7/16x7/16?
Depends on length, but prob not more than a few dollars. It's some damn expensive material to buy new, but really isn't worth much. Shops either have it already piled up or are onto carbide tooling, probably both. Id hang onto the unground ones; they make great parallels, spacers, scrapers, and occasionally an oddball lathe tool.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Yeah you'll make more than scrap here but they aren't priceless. Mostly used only now and again in a shop that does work for money. Used a lot in home and hobby shops still.

I rarely use carbide insert tooling. However, I use a lot of modern cobalt HSS tools. The newer cobalt HSS is much better than older HSS tool alloys. I am interested in tool sizes from 1/8" through 3/4".

4 types I have. There are plenty of good unused pieces mixed in. I'll Google search pricing. I want to be fair

Attachments

• IMG_20210929_064658572.jpg
    IMG_20210929_064658572.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20210929_064653575.jpg
    IMG_20210929_064653575.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20210929_064647857.jpg
    IMG_20210929_064647857.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20210929_064639037.jpg
    IMG_20210929_064639037.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 118
Id buy a small flat rate box of bits, if priced appropriately.

What's appropriate? Going by Ebay prices, an unused 3/8 Mo Max would be around $10.00 a bit. Selling these one bit at a time would turn into a day job.

What's appropriate? Going by Ebay prices, an unused 3/8 Mo Max would be around $10.00 a bit. Selling these one bit at a time would turn into a day job.

Only if the Ebay "value" is sold , not just advertised

You apparently have a lot of stuff no longer needed - for the most part - by folks in business. You also have to figure in that those in the "play machine shop" business seldom are willing to learn how to grind such things so they can actually be used

I probably have on hand unground (not ready to cut anything) HSS by famous USA makers at least 150 lbs - and it will be given away to who ever gets the shop

Only if the Ebay "value" is sold , not just advertised

You apparently have a lot of stuff no longer needed - for the most part - by folks in business. You also have to figure in that those in the "play machine shop" business seldom are willing to learn how to grind such things so they can actually be used

I probably have on hand unground (not ready to cut anything) HSS by famous USA makers at least 150 lbs - and it will be given away to who ever gets the shop

I get it. So what's fair?

By the pound, more than scrap price. Double scrap $$ for shorter ground ones and 3x scrap for long ground or new?? Shipped in small flat rate box. Maybe price them by the shipped box, full small rate box of used ones for something like $30 shipped, new ones could be $40 shipped. Figure out how long it will take you to fill up a small FRB and print a label, add cost of shipping. I was guessing at $10 to ship and $20-$30 for the contents.

"Fair" is hard to describe, and ultimately on the seller's end.

If you want to sell this stuff here's how I'd do it-

1) Spread all the pieces out and clean them up, being able to read markings on the tools will help your endeavor.

2) Organize them into 3 groups. LRG/MED/SML, LRG/SML/irregular, something like that, and take a photo or 2.

3) Write a good listing. "FS- small lots of assorted HSS tooling. Each lot fills small flat rate USPS box. Box is filled at random with ~1\3 from each group. (Post group pic and description)

Looking at actual sold items on ebay, there is quite a large range. Individually, pieces up to ½" seem to go anywhere from $2-$15 each depending on size, brand and quality (ground or brand new unground). However, lots go for much less and are more commonly sold. So you need to make a decision. Do I want to sift through and try to maximize return and try to sell every piece separately, taking a very long time; or do I want to package lots of tools together and get the stuff out the door with minimum fuss quickly. Set your pricing accordingly.

I recently picked up two neat old factory cardboard boxes half full of Rex 95 and Rex AAA for $10 apiece and thought that was a very nice deal.

Be sure to take a magnet and go through them. If non-magnetic they're likely a cast alloy like Stellite, Black Alloy or Tantung G and are worth a bit more. Few commercial shops use HSS anymore but hobbyists will use 3/8" and 1/2" square tools.

Back