What's new
What's new

Mobil DTE Heavy Medium for bandsaw gearbox?

calderp

Aluminum
Quick question - I'm putting a Powermatic 143 bandsaw back together and need to fill the gearbox. Manual calls for 40 weight, no other specifications. I know it's important to use a machine oil that isn't going to attack the bronze bushings. We have some Mobil DTE heavy medium on the shelf which I know to be safe for bronze. Seems like a medium/heavy gear oil would do just fine in this old heavily-built splash-lubed gear train so I was going to use it unless someone more knowledgeable than me says not to. Any reason not to? Thanks.

I should add I know that I can find the correct oil(s) with a forum search but I don't want to wait on having something shipped if what I have on the shelf will be just fine. It's specced for our lathe, so seems like it ought to work I can't imagine this simple gearbox is too picky.

DoAll recommends Hypoid 80/90 gear oil for there saw transmissions.

Yabut..

DoAll builds saws.

Powermatic builds crude, rude, cheap, and noisy substitutes for ....all sorts of stuff.

Reasonably durable....but largely off the back of a "BFBI" design approach.
DTE should be OK. Bugger would probably run on anything from dirty seawater to fibred chassis grease.

Sure, match viscosity using your chart. But nobody has suggested what oil is safe for brass. I looked into this once and wound up using Mobil SHC640 which I ordered from zoro. It is safe for brass.

metalmagpie

Sure, match viscosity using your chart. But nobody has suggested what oil is safe for brass. I looked into this once and wound up using Mobil SHC640 which I ordered from zoro. It is safe for brass.

metalmagpie

Oil safe for manual transmissions with bronze/brass synchros is what I was trying to suggest.

Back