Login to Your Account
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    I FOUND IT:
    OT: Home Fabrication: cheapest method

Best 26 pages on PM, even better than the divining rod thread.
    Reminds me of a customer, who wanted to build a perpetual motion machine that would swim through space... Guy paid 50%down/50%COD.

2. Likes TeachMePlease, Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    wow, disturbing. Thing is, Charlie is most people, he's just a bit more enthusiastic. The scientifically illiterate....and they vote
    They don't ALL vote. Thank God in her infinite mercy.

Most of them buy Microsoft "Windows" though. Because they "must".

If anything, that's scarier, yet. If only because it is more frequent.

4. Likes Hopefuldave liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AARONT View Post
    Reminds me of a customer, who wanted to build a perpetual motion machine that would swim through space... Guy paid 50%down/50%COD.
    Hopefully functionality was not a condition of the 50% on delivery or you still lose.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AARONT View Post
    And you took the money so nobody had to embarrass the poor sod by pointing at the Earth, underfoot, and explaining where his ass was and ashes would be.

EG: "That we are already part of such a device".

At least insofar as we'd ever know anything about how "perpetual" THIS universe turns out to be.

ISTR the previous one was recalled to the factory for an airbag sensor fault?

Been a while....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

FWIW, Camscan is now in direct contact with PM IT team....good chance his profile and posts can be restored...maybe not all posts, but most

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    And you took the money so nobody had to embarrass the poor sod by pointing at the Earth, underfoot, and explaining where his ass was and ashes would be.

EG: "That we are already part of such a device".

At least insofar as we'd ever know anything about how "perpetual" THIS universe turns out to be.

ISTR the previous one was recalled to the factory for an airbag sensor fault?

Been a while....

Not to worry. I understand that we have a few billion years left before zero hour.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    Not to worry. I understand that we have a few billion years left before zero hour.
    Read this one when it was still new:

https://www.amazon.com/next-fifty-bi.../dp/B0007DR0SK

Prolly overdue for an update?

Not that the average mortal is likely to care!

Even GBC may have run out of gas before then?

"Not that the average mortal is likely to care!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    FWIW, Camscan is now in direct contact with PM IT team....good chance his profile and posts can be restored...maybe not all posts, but most
    Good to hear most of his posts were very helpful to those that asked questions on screw machines, it would be a shame if they were permanently lost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They don't ALL vote. Thank God in her infinite mercy.

Most of them buy Microsoft "Windows" though. Because they "must".

If anything, that's scarier, yet. If only because it is more frequent.
    Yeah, rather than "upgrade" to Windows 10 after they stopped support for Win 7 I decided to stop procrastinating and install Linux Mint. I went the route of installing a separate hard drive so I have a dual-boot system. The neat bit is that while Linux can see the old drive and I can retrieve files directly the reverse is not true.

There were some teething pains like trying to get my favorite (Windows only) email program to run under Wine and the proper syntax for a desktop launcher. Now if I can just figure how to extract the shortcut icon from the Windows package so I can replace the generic Linux one.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    .. trying to get my favorite (Windows only) email program to run under Wine and the proper syntax for a desktop launcher.
    Jayzus. I should sooner pull the alloys and Conti's best gumboots, put a small child's roller-skates under the Jaguar.

Have a look at the MUA portion of the SeaMonkey suite. Or Thunderbird. Or Sylpheed "Claws". Option and customize any of those. There are more.

You won't need to whine, and you won't go back.

Get weary of anarchistic Linsucks GNU'ish "userland" and apps chronic "version Hell" on lib majors and minors forever breaking shit that worked last go?

Just install OpenBSD. "bout five minutes by the wall clock, done from local store.

Entire OS ain't much bigger than the Linsucks kernel, uncompressed!

Less than five minutes, each go for binary updates. All of twice a year.

pkg_add qemu

Run WinWOES off a virtual image. Several, if versioning is a PITA.

Still using a Quickbooks we hacked on atop Win NT4, SP3. Counts beans same as always.

LazyIyam. VERY!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

All of Im...?

Maybe good idear to leave "some of im" in the transporter....

I'm sure Sami could come up with a list on short order....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i found windows 10 is, now, a decent replacement for 7 on a machine that was born with 7

Linux Mint is quirky but good for old timey xp etc computers. I use it on several hand me down laptops for music etc

Oh, and windows 10 is still free

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    Oh, and windows 10 is still free
    Syphilis CAN be "free" as well. Suspect money was involved, more transfers than not, but all I know is what the big kids tell me.

I've managed to give it a miss with even less effort than avoiding WinWOES, though.

Seriously. Even when revenoo-paying clients insisted on Win for some Line Of Business application, we'd simply buy the license, strip the crap out of it, then virtualize the remaining 20% to 30% or so under a *BSD Unix on good RAID .. to protect the round-heeled parasite-bait hoor from drinking out of public toilets.

Anything at all went pear-shaped, pop a recent image snapshot onto active duty and carry-on.

Since its mission-critical application's FILES were handled by wiser guardians, NOT IN the OS image, there wasn't ordinarily even any damage to repair nor backups to reload and mess with.

WinWOES apps. Without the WinCrobes. Reboot about once every year or two to replace the server's fans and grin all the way to the bank off the money-motion not hired.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The words in red, below, reminded me of my Scottish heritage (McDowell) and of course, of certain unnamed moderators...
    ( I do wonder what the security level for CoVid19 is).

"The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent terrorist
    threats and have raised their security level from "Miffed" to
    "Peeved." Soon, though, security levels may be raised yet again to
    "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross." The English have not been "A Bit
    Cross" since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies all but ran out.
    Terrorists have been re-categorised from "Tiresome" to a "Bloody
    Nuisance." The last time the British issued a "Bloody Nuisance"
    warning level was in 1588 when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots raised their threat level from "Pissed Off" to "Let's get
    the [email protected]" They don't have any other levels. This is the reason
    they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last
    300 years.

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its
    terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide". The only two higher levels in
    France are "Collaborate" and "Surrender." The rise was precipitated by
    a recent fire that destroyed France’s white flag factory, effectively
    paralyzing the country's military capability. It's not only the French
    who are on a heightened level of alert. Italy has increased the alert
    level from "Shout loudly and excitedly" to "Elaborate Military
    Posturing." Two more levels remain: "Ineffective Combat Operations"
    and "Change Sides."
    The Germans also increased their alert state from "Disdainful
    Arrogance" to "Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs." They also
    have two higher levels: "Invade a Neighbor" and "Lose".
    Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual, and the only
    threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.
    The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy.
    These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish
    navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.
    Americans meanwhile and as usual are carrying out pre-emptive strikes,
    on all of their allies, just in case.
    And in the southern hemisphere...
    New Zealand has also raised its security levels - from "baaa" to "BAAAA!".
    Due to continuing defense cutbacks (the air force being a squadron of
    spotty teenagers flying paper airplanes and the navy some toy boats
    in the Prime Minister's bath), New Zealand only has one more level of
    escalation, which is "I hope Australia will come and rescue us".
    Australia , meanwhile, has raised its security level from "No worries"

to "She'll be right, mate". Three more escalation levels remain:
    "Crikey!', "I think we'll need to cancel the barbie this weekend" and
    "The barbie is canceled". So far no situation has ever warranted use
    of the final escalation level."

By the way, this is in error. We Scots (if I may claim this) also have "Smug Self-righteousness". In our defense, we also have "Genial unwarranted self-confidence". We can be quite charming if it forces the other guy (hopefully an Englishman) to admit we're right and (just as importantly) that they're wrong.

Stay safe and healthy everyone. No high fives for a while!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Syphilis CAN be "free" as well.
    WinWOES apps. ... WinCrobes.
    I've been running MS Windows-based software now for about 20 years. Never had a virus (of course, I'm not a round-heeled hoor drinking from the toilet). Actually, check that (the virus statement, not the hoor part): I once had a virus. Easily solved: removed the HDD and put it in a caddy. Booted another machine and got the lasted malwarebytes virus defs, and plugged the infected disk into the usb port (prior to use I'd turned off autorun). Disk fixed in about a half hour. Once, in twenty years.

I did have a hard drive fail and had to ask my brother-in-law's firm (which does forensic accounting and has people that know how to do this sort of thing) recover the drive. But that was a HW fail. Cost me $1500 I think.

And I've had to reload Windows about 10 times due to the OS getting corrupted. About 10 times for 4 computers in 20 years. So once every five years per computer.

I do make regular whole-drive ISO images of my disks on hdds or thumbdrives that are not normally plugged into anything.. And I have a Synology NAS (linux-based) that I dump files on. And subscribe to an offsite backup. So if I do get hit with ransomware, I can recover up to at worst a couple of days ago.

For me, though, the universality of the Windows OS (at least Win 10 Pro) offers a lot of advantages.

Last, I'd point out that Win 10 is a significant upgrade over Win 8 or 7 or XP.

When I got out of grad school way back when, I would have chosen Linux for any scientific/business computing setup Today, if it was real-time mission-critical (for example, automating fermenters in a biotech plant, where the fermenter has literally a billion dollars of product contained therein, and even a momentary drop in temperature or O2 control makes the batch worthless - that kind of real-time) I'd probably choose linux. It would depend upon the quality of the available apps.

For setting up an office with email and editors and spreadsheets? I'd use MS/Windows stuff.

Its very rare when I have a yearning to experience an X-windows environment again....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bosleyjr View Post

I do make regular whole-drive ISO images of my disks on hdds or thumbdrives that are not normally plugged into anything.. And I have a Synology NAS (linux-based) that I dump files on. And subscribe to an offsite backup. So if I do get hit with ransomware, I can recover up to at worst a couple of days ago.
    I assume the HD/thumbdrives's that you use to create ISO images, get rotated so once the last device gets an ISO image, you go back to the first device and do another rotation? Looking at google it appears you can put multiple ISO images on one device, is that how you do it?

I need to really improve they way I back up the PC. I've been using WD RE3/4 drives and backing up files on those, but not creating ISO images of drives.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes. All joking and weird personal issues aside, there could be something structurally amiss.. a too-permissive configuration.. and/or php's dodgy security track record.

Could be a one-off. Could be a portent of greater problems, going forward.

It ALL needs delved, big net, wide sweep, all angles.

And by sharp IS/IT folk. The 'professionally paranoid' with the scars on their arse that made us that way.

Not by amateurs.
    There could be a double team going on here since even the google references to CS have mostly disappeared. Birds of a feather and all that. This is likely a determined and vindictive act.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Glad to hear CS likely will be back. He is good people and a very crafty person.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    I assume the HD/thumbdrives's that you use to create ISO images, get rotated so once the last device gets an ISO image, you go back to the first device and do another rotation? Looking at google it appears you can put multiple ISO images on one device, is that how you do it?

I need to really improve they way I back up the PC. I've been using WD RE3/4 drives and backing up files on those, but not creating ISO images of drives.
    I have to go back and rethink this out, triumph. My grad school buddy, John Eaton, did rotating backups on different levels. This ensured an efficient backup, with no danger of any more than one day's worth of data lost. But those were on tapes.

I think what I'm going to do is get all my old hard drives out and figure out if anything useful is on them and then reformat them and use them to create the ISO images. I think it's probably a good idea to NOT store multiple ISOs on the same drive. I remember the story in the old old days, of a hard drive going down. These were the really old drives where you pulled a big (12 inch diameter) cassette out of the main drive machine, and swapped for another. Anyway, the main drive went down and Tommy the Tech couldn't get one backup to work, he tried another. Went through 20 or so. Finally called IBM. Their rep arrived and looked at the thing. Tommy said "I think the problem has to do with all that reddish brown powder in the machine. What's that powder". "That" the IBM tech said, "is your data". At least, that's how I remember the story.

Your note prompted me to think: I don't have this set up as well as I need to.

BTW, my next project (hopefully) is to create a dual (or triple! OS X!) boot dual Xeon with 128Gb of RAM. We'll see if I can afford the parts.

22. Likes Hopefuldave, triumph406, 3t3d liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bosleyjr View Post
    I remember the story in the old old days, of a hard drive going down. These were the really old drives where you pulled a big (12 inch diameter) cassette out of the main drive machine, and swapped for another. Anyway, the main drive went down and Tommy the Tech couldn't get one backup to work, he tried another. Went through 20 or so. Finally called IBM. Their rep arrived and looked at the thing. Tommy said "I think the problem has to do with all that reddish brown powder in the machine. What's that powder". "That" the IBM tech said, "is your data". At least, that's how I remember the story.
    Yeah. I still have a 14" platter from the day. Suffered a head crash, as was common back then. There is a 1/3" wide ring near the outer edge where the brown magnetic paint has been scraped away to the underlying aluminum metal (which has galled), plus some dents here and there. I heard from a witness that it died with a heart-stopping primal scream.

This is from a "Winchester" style disk drive, which is about the size of a apartment clothes washer. If I recall, the capacity was somewhere between 20 and 100 MBytes. The disk platters turned at 2400 rpm. The middle diameter of the scraped band is 13.25". This computes to (13.25/12)*3.1416*2400= 8,325 feet per minute (95 mph or 151 kph), well into friction-sawing range. Extensive repairs were needed.