MODERATORS - Has CAMSCAN Been Banned? - Page 8
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 227
  1. #141
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SE PA, Philly
    Posts
    5,482
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1044
    Likes (Received)
    1960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Sort of the way I feel about NW Iowa. Wait, are you saying that the Germans didn't invade there? Then why do the inhabitants think like 1940's Germans?
    While I think your main point is over the top and is a striking but subtle example of Godwin's Law, I think you've hit on something here, Milland.

    In the 1940s Germany could legitimately claim to having the most educated populace in the world. Supposedly mostly Christian, too. If they could be bamboozled by a person/movement/idealogy into feeling that they were aggrieved, wronged, etc. etc. and that the only solution was to band together with other persons in their group to oppose/oppress/demonize another group, then any population, at any time, can be bamboozled.

    PS In the late 1800s and earlly 1900s about 1/3 of Scandanavia and significant numbers of Germans left their homeland to emigrate to the Central midwest. My hometome, Racine, WI, supposedly had more peole of Danish descent than any other city except Copenhagen. So, to some extent, Germans (and Danes and Swedes) DID invade NW Iowa (and WI, and MN, SD, etc).

  2. #142
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SE PA, Philly
    Posts
    5,482
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1044
    Likes (Received)
    1960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    May I suggest to stop right here and return to the OT subject?
    What the hell fun is that?

    A forum thread that stays on track? You, sir, are an incurable idealist!

  3. #143
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Near Seattle
    Posts
    4,925
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3369
    Likes (Received)
    1397

    Default

    bosleyjr's pt is more important than might be realized.

    At the start of WWI, a greater fraction of the *german* citizenery had the right to vote than in the UK! Their federal structure was at least in some ways much more like the US than most other places. They had one of the world's first social insurance programs. And yes, in surveys in WWI, the armies with the very highest literacy were...
    Germany. and the US. (And as terribly flawed as the US was in 1914/1917 (and still is), it was really quite ahead of large parts of the world. Sobering thought.)

    And as the decades have worn on, a question historians have NOT comfortably answered, and which indeed haunts some observers of history, is:
    "How did the NAZIs take over THAT place???" (How they stayed in power is easier to explain...)

    All manner of theories have been offered, and every one I've looked into has serious counter-arguments that suggest it's not actually a sound explanation.

    As for His Righteous Trollness GBC - I don't think he represents Danish thinking any more than Bernie Sanders does.

  4. Likes bosleyjr, fusker liked this post
  5. #144
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, New Hampshire
    Posts
    8,997
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2155
    Likes (Received)
    6241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bosleyjr View Post
    While I think your main point is over the top and is a striking but subtle example of Godwin's Law, I think you've hit on something here, Milland.
    It's a matter of that poster conflating Denmark and the attitudes of one Scots immigrant. I was just returning the favor. I'd hope that was clear, but maybe I should have mentioned the German attack on Pearl Harbor for emphasis [/Bluto]

  6. #145
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    8,694
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1363
    Likes (Received)
    5644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    May I suggest to stop right here and return to the OT subject?
    Nah, I'd rather hear more about Bosleyjr's stepfather. Sounds a bit like " Get Smart " without the laughs.

    Regards Tyrone.

  7. Likes kenton liked this post
  8. #146
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SE PA, Philly
    Posts
    5,482
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1044
    Likes (Received)
    1960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by milland View Post
    it's a matter of that poster conflating denmark and the attitudes of one scots immigrant. I was just returning the favor. I'd hope that was clear, but maybe i should have mentioned the german attack on pearl harbor for emphasis [/bluto]

    lol, cson.

  9. #147
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    2,843
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    923

    Default

    My grandfather was a dour scot ,mood not improved by losing a leg in the great war ,and we had to put up with him for some years when I was a kid.And when he died ,he left the lot to a sister he d never met.Which infuriated my old man ....all that has taught me something which I think stood me well .

  10. Likes fusker liked this post
  11. #148
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Coastal Dogpatch, SC, USA
    Posts
    51,443
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2910
    Likes (Received)
    5742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    FWIW, I have no idea what happened....no ban, nothing...will ask IT to look into it
    Which forum(s) did Camscan tend to hang out on ?

  12. #149
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Country
    FALKLAND ISLANDS (MALVINAS)
    Posts
    1,933
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2322
    Likes (Received)
    1217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    Which forum(s) did Camscan tend to hang out on ?
    Antique and general mostly I think

  13. #150
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    19,692
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    15144
    Likes (Received)
    15310

    Default

    Manufacturing in America Europe

    Metrology

    General

    And anywhere that cam autos (screw machines) and form tool grinding etc etc crop up

  14. #151
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Country
    FALKLAND ISLANDS (MALVINAS)
    Posts
    1,933
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2322
    Likes (Received)
    1217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    Which forum(s) did Camscan tend to hang out on ?

    Heres a quoted reply if that helps any

  15. #152
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dewees Texas
    Posts
    2,566
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    29
    Likes (Received)
    735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    Which forum(s) did Camscan tend to hang out on ?
    Here is another thread he was in but his posts are now gone. I could not find this post in Yahoo without mentioning my handle, using Camscan did not work.

    How to Cut, Chamfer, and Clean OD of Tubing

    Limy if you talk to Camscan before he is back tell him I still do not think those indexing drill holders are turrets, screw machine turrets have 4 or 6 positions. :-)

    Or you could tell him he is missed.

  16. Likes Hopefuldave liked this post
  17. #153
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    30,582
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    9545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    Here is another thread he was in but his posts are now gone. I could not find this post in Yahoo without mentioning my handle, using Camscan did not work.
    Presume that was a yahoo search-engine seek?

    PM is HEAVILY google tracked and indexed. VERY.

    Even so, this:

    site: "practicalmachinist.com" "Camscan"

    Finds ONLY mentions of him or quotes of his posts by OTHERS. Damned few of them as well, given he was fairly active.

    No "archived" or "cached" posts of his own.

    Same result as yahoo, basically, just off the back of the more powerful - and more actively "PM-tracking" - search-engine.

    Page Two:

    HE is conspicuous partly because he had a login barrier and was able to communicate with another active member by an external channel.

    What also needs looked-at is if his records going unavailable is limited to him alone.

    There could be a significant number of less-active PM members also affected, but simply not yet remarked.

    One, alone, is indicative of targetted malicious activity ELSE a really DUMB configuration permitting an accident out of ignorance.

    Not likely. VB is what it is, but also rather mature goods, and VERY widely utilized.

    "Many" gone awry, and random, OTOH, are more likely to have revealed a DB or VB fault.

    Potentially far the greater concern, that.

    By now, I trust all possibilities are being delved?

  18. Likes gregormarwick, Hopefuldave liked this post
  19. #154
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Country
    SPAIN
    Posts
    3,930
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2289
    Likes (Received)
    1542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post

    One, alone, is indicative of targetted malicious activity ELSE a really DUMB configuration permitting an accident out of ignorance.

    Not likely. VB is what it is, but also rather mature goods, and VERY widely utilized.

    "Many" gone awry, and random, OTOH, are more likely to have revealed a DB or VB fault.

    Potentially far the greater concern, that.

    By now, I trust all possibilities are being delved?
    So what you're saying, is this is unlikely to be "*Computer Thrombosis" but farrrrrrr more sinister?

    *Computer Thrombosis = A clot in front of the keyboard

  20. Likes Mud, Hopefuldave, bosleyjr liked this post
  21. #155
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    30,582
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    9545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    So what you're saying, is this is unlikely to be "*Computer Thrombosis" but farrrrrrr more sinister?

    *Computer Thrombosis = A clot in front of the keyboard
    Yes. All joking and weird personal issues aside, there could be something structurally amiss.. a too-permissive configuration.. and/or php's dodgy security track record.

    Could be a one-off. Could be a portent of greater problems, going forward.

    It ALL needs delved, big net, wide sweep, all angles.

    And by sharp IS/IT folk. The 'professionally paranoid' with the scars on their arse that made us that way.

    Not by amateurs.

  22. #156
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dewees Texas
    Posts
    2,566
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    29
    Likes (Received)
    735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Presume that was a yahoo search-engine seek?

    PM is HEAVILY google tracked and indexed. VERY.

    Even so, this:

    site: "practicalmachinist.com" "Camscan"

    Finds ONLY mentions of him or quotes of his posts by OTHERS. Damned few of them as well, given he was fairly active.

    No "archived" or "cached" posts of his own.

    Same result as yahoo, basically, just off the back of the more powerful - and more actively "PM-tracking" - search-engine.

    Page Two:

    HE is conspicuous partly because he had a login barrier and was able to communicate with another active member by an external channel.

    What also needs looked-at is if his records going unavailable is limited to him alone.

    There could be a significant number of less-active PM members also affected, but simply not yet remarked.

    One, alone, is indicative of targetted malicious activity ELSE a really DUMB configuration permitting an accident out of ignorance.

    Not likely. VB is what it is, but also rather mature goods, and VERY widely utilized.

    "Many" gone awry, and random, OTOH, are more likely to have revealed a DB or VB fault.

    Potentially far the greater concern, that.

    By now, I trust all possibilities are being delved?
    Yeah, that was Yahoo search, I do not like the way my Google searches end up turning to ads. Now that you mention it his disappearing from what should have been archived material indicates something is really off. How can his posts from years ago disappear from search results. Europe's right to be forgotten on steroids?
    Hope his credit cards still work and his bank account has not disappeared also.

    Seems like movies have been written about this happening.

  23. #157
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    30,582
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    9545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    Yeah, that was Yahoo search, I do not like the way my Google searches end up turning to ads.
    Easily blackholed.
    Now that you mention it his disappearing from what should have been archived material indicates something is really off. How can his posts from years ago disappear from search results. Europe's right to be forgotten on steroids?
    The records could be fully intact.

    Flag in the DB, ELSE a snippet of code in the middleware, the content make-up system never takes them up.

    Not at all hard to do. Such flags are usually built-in, Big Bang onward. Think initial, pilot, alpha, beta, gold, testing. Or progressive parallel-cutover control. Load-sharing.. and more.

    My "Monarchist" UID account went live already about two years old. It had been set-up only to assist Milacron when prior-provider server services needed a helpful look-see and - as was to pass - migration to a new and better provider.

    One just has to be in the right place to *set* the flag. Or insert / activate the code.


    Seems like movies have been written about this happening.
    Not when we kept our mouths shut. Stories about "the good stuff" often have to wait a long time before they are allowed to be shared. Two dead-tree books I am aware of were pulled from circulation over that - new book, unrelated content, same title, adroitly replaced the hairier one. It had carried full details of the SR71's recon suit a few decades too soon.


  24. Likes Hopefuldave liked this post
  25. #158
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, New Hampshire
    Posts
    8,997
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2155
    Likes (Received)
    6241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Not when we kept our mouths shut. Stories about "the good stuff" often have to wait a long time before they are allowed to be shared. Two dead-tree books I am aware of were pulled from circulation over that - new book, unrelated content, same title, adroitly replaced the hairier one. It had carried full details of the SR71's recon suit a few decades too soon.
    Back when the Corona virus was a consistent inability to retrieve the film canister.

  26. Likes sfriedberg liked this post
  27. #159
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    30,582
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    9545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Back when the Corona virus was a consistent inability to retrieve the film canister.
    Different program.

    Mighty large format, the SR71's main "optical" camera.

    Techs unloaded those fat bastards once Blackbird was safely - as per usual - back on the ground.

  28. #160
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, New Hampshire
    Posts
    8,997
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2155
    Likes (Received)
    6241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Different program.
    Umm - duh? I've worked at Draper and Lincoln Labs, and have been a stone's throw from where Itek used to be. Not to mention spent a good percent of four decades on Vassar St., a (bad) softball's throw from Bldg. 20.

    Twas making a joke is all, but perhaps I should have based it on the early launch program, which needed a lot of unplanned rapid disassemblies before being "safe" to send birds up.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •