MODERATORS - Has CAMSCAN Been Banned? - Page 8
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Sort of the way I feel about NW Iowa. Wait, are you saying that the Germans didn't invade there? Then why do the inhabitants think like 1940's Germans?
    While I think your main point is over the top and is a striking but subtle example of Godwin's Law, I think you've hit on something here, Milland.

In the 1940s Germany could legitimately claim to having the most educated populace in the world. Supposedly mostly Christian, too. If they could be bamboozled by a person/movement/idealogy into feeling that they were aggrieved, wronged, etc. etc. and that the only solution was to band together with other persons in their group to oppose/oppress/demonize another group, then any population, at any time, can be bamboozled.

PS In the late 1800s and earlly 1900s about 1/3 of Scandanavia and significant numbers of Germans left their homeland to emigrate to the Central midwest. My hometome, Racine, WI, supposedly had more peole of Danish descent than any other city except Copenhagen. So, to some extent, Germans (and Danes and Swedes) DID invade NW Iowa (and WI, and MN, SD, etc).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    May I suggest to stop right here and return to the OT subject?
    What the hell fun is that?

A forum thread that stays on track? You, sir, are an incurable idealist!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

bosleyjr's pt is more important than might be realized.

At the start of WWI, a greater fraction of the *german* citizenery had the right to vote than in the UK! Their federal structure was at least in some ways much more like the US than most other places. They had one of the world's first social insurance programs. And yes, in surveys in WWI, the armies with the very highest literacy were...
    Germany. and the US. (And as terribly flawed as the US was in 1914/1917 (and still is), it was really quite ahead of large parts of the world. Sobering thought.)

And as the decades have worn on, a question historians have NOT comfortably answered, and which indeed haunts some observers of history, is:
    "How did the NAZIs take over THAT place???" (How they stayed in power is easier to explain...)

All manner of theories have been offered, and every one I've looked into has serious counter-arguments that suggest it's not actually a sound explanation.

As for His Righteous Trollness GBC - I don't think he represents Danish thinking any more than Bernie Sanders does.

4. Likes bosleyjr, fusker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bosleyjr View Post
    While I think your main point is over the top and is a striking but subtle example of Godwin's Law, I think you've hit on something here, Milland.
    It's a matter of that poster conflating Denmark and the attitudes of one Scots immigrant. I was just returning the favor. I'd hope that was clear, but maybe I should have mentioned the German attack on Pearl Harbor for emphasis [/Bluto]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    May I suggest to stop right here and return to the OT subject?
    Nah, I'd rather hear more about Bosleyjr's stepfather. Sounds a bit like " Get Smart " without the laughs.

Regards Tyrone.

7. Likes kenton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by milland View Post
    it's a matter of that poster conflating denmark and the attitudes of one scots immigrant. I was just returning the favor. I'd hope that was clear, but maybe i should have mentioned the german attack on pearl harbor for emphasis [/bluto]

lol, cson.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My grandfather was a dour scot ,mood not improved by losing a leg in the great war ,and we had to put up with him for some years when I was a kid.And when he died ,he left the lot to a sister he d never met.Which infuriated my old man ....all that has taught me something which I think stood me well .

10. Likes fusker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    FWIW, I have no idea what happened....no ban, nothing...will ask IT to look into it
    Which forum(s) did Camscan tend to hang out on ?

Country
    FALKLAND ISLANDS (MALVINAS)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Antique and general mostly I think

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Manufacturing in America Europe

Metrology

General

And anywhere that cam autos (screw machines) and form tool grinding etc etc crop up

Country
    FALKLAND ISLANDS (MALVINAS)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Heres a quoted reply if that helps any

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is another thread he was in but his posts are now gone. I could not find this post in Yahoo without mentioning my handle, using Camscan did not work.

How to Cut, Chamfer, and Clean OD of Tubing

Limy if you talk to Camscan before he is back tell him I still do not think those indexing drill holders are turrets, screw machine turrets have 4 or 6 positions. :-)

Or you could tell him he is missed.

16. Likes Hopefuldave liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    Here is another thread he was in but his posts are now gone. I could not find this post in Yahoo without mentioning my handle, using Camscan did not work.
    Presume that was a yahoo search-engine seek?

PM is HEAVILY google tracked and indexed. VERY.

Even so, this:

site: "practicalmachinist.com" "Camscan"

Finds ONLY mentions of him or quotes of his posts by OTHERS. Damned few of them as well, given he was fairly active.

No "archived" or "cached" posts of his own.

Same result as yahoo, basically, just off the back of the more powerful - and more actively "PM-tracking" - search-engine.

Page Two:

HE is conspicuous partly because he had a login barrier and was able to communicate with another active member by an external channel.

What also needs looked-at is if his records going unavailable is limited to him alone.

There could be a significant number of less-active PM members also affected, but simply not yet remarked.

One, alone, is indicative of targetted malicious activity ELSE a really DUMB configuration permitting an accident out of ignorance.

Not likely. VB is what it is, but also rather mature goods, and VERY widely utilized.

"Many" gone awry, and random, OTOH, are more likely to have revealed a DB or VB fault.

Potentially far the greater concern, that.

By now, I trust all possibilities are being delved?

18. Likes gregormarwick, Hopefuldave liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post

One, alone, is indicative of targetted malicious activity ELSE a really DUMB configuration permitting an accident out of ignorance.

Not likely. VB is what it is, but also rather mature goods, and VERY widely utilized.

"Many" gone awry, and random, OTOH, are more likely to have revealed a DB or VB fault.

So what you're saying, is this is unlikely to be "*Computer Thrombosis" but farrrrrrr more sinister?

*Computer Thrombosis = A clot in front of the keyboard

20. Likes Mud, Hopefuldave, bosleyjr liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    So what you're saying, is this is unlikely to be "*Computer Thrombosis" but farrrrrrr more sinister?

*Computer Thrombosis = A clot in front of the keyboard
    Yes. All joking and weird personal issues aside, there could be something structurally amiss.. a too-permissive configuration.. and/or php's dodgy security track record.

Could be a one-off. Could be a portent of greater problems, going forward.

It ALL needs delved, big net, wide sweep, all angles.

And by sharp IS/IT folk. The 'professionally paranoid' with the scars on their arse that made us that way.

Not by amateurs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Presume that was a yahoo search-engine seek?

PM is HEAVILY google tracked and indexed. VERY.

Even so, this:

site: "practicalmachinist.com" "Camscan"

Finds ONLY mentions of him or quotes of his posts by OTHERS. Damned few of them as well, given he was fairly active.

No "archived" or "cached" posts of his own.

Same result as yahoo, basically, just off the back of the more powerful - and more actively "PM-tracking" - search-engine.

Page Two:

HE is conspicuous partly because he had a login barrier and was able to communicate with another active member by an external channel.

What also needs looked-at is if his records going unavailable is limited to him alone.

There could be a significant number of less-active PM members also affected, but simply not yet remarked.

Yeah, that was Yahoo search, I do not like the way my Google searches end up turning to ads. Now that you mention it his disappearing from what should have been archived material indicates something is really off. How can his posts from years ago disappear from search results. Europe's right to be forgotten on steroids?
    Hope his credit cards still work and his bank account has not disappeared also.

Seems like movies have been written about this happening.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    Yeah, that was Yahoo search, I do not like the way my Google searches end up turning to ads.
    Easily blackholed.
    Now that you mention it his disappearing from what should have been archived material indicates something is really off. How can his posts from years ago disappear from search results. Europe's right to be forgotten on steroids?
    The records could be fully intact.

Flag in the DB, ELSE a snippet of code in the middleware, the content make-up system never takes them up.

Not at all hard to do. Such flags are usually built-in, Big Bang onward. Think initial, pilot, alpha, beta, gold, testing. Or progressive parallel-cutover control. Load-sharing.. and more.

My "Monarchist" UID account went live already about two years old. It had been set-up only to assist Milacron when prior-provider server services needed a helpful look-see and - as was to pass - migration to a new and better provider.

One just has to be in the right place to *set* the flag. Or insert / activate the code.

Seems like movies have been written about this happening.
    Not when we kept our mouths shut. Stories about "the good stuff" often have to wait a long time before they are allowed to be shared. Two dead-tree books I am aware of were pulled from circulation over that - new book, unrelated content, same title, adroitly replaced the hairier one. It had carried full details of the SR71's recon suit a few decades too soon.

24. Likes Hopefuldave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not when we kept our mouths shut. Stories about "the good stuff" often have to wait a long time before they are allowed to be shared. Two dead-tree books I am aware of were pulled from circulation over that - new book, unrelated content, same title, adroitly replaced the hairier one. It had carried full details of the SR71's recon suit a few decades too soon.
    Back when the Corona virus was a consistent inability to retrieve the film canister.

26. Likes sfriedberg liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Back when the Corona virus was a consistent inability to retrieve the film canister.
    Different program.

Mighty large format, the SR71's main "optical" camera.

Techs unloaded those fat bastards once Blackbird was safely - as per usual - back on the ground.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Different program.
    Umm - duh? I've worked at Draper and Lincoln Labs, and have been a stone's throw from where Itek used to be. Not to mention spent a good percent of four decades on Vassar St., a (bad) softball's throw from Bldg. 20.

Twas making a joke is all, but perhaps I should have based it on the early launch program, which needed a lot of unplanned rapid disassemblies before being "safe" to send birds up.