What's new
What's new

Modern alternative for Bakelite and what is this stippeled metal

bmklawt

Aluminum
I'm working on building a replica of the German Enigma Machine and I'm looking for something that resemble Bakelite, preferable something that can be poured into a mold it needs to resist heat as well and Bakelite so I can solder brass contacts that pressed or molded into it more more importantly it needs to look like Bakelite, I've looked into Garolite but the paper or fabric that's embedded in it shows through when machined.
Also the stippling in the part in the attached image where would I find metal sheet like that? why is it there.
Attached is a picture of a Enigma Rotor with the brass pins in the Bakelite and on the thumb wheel as well and the stippled metal ring.

Your help is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 393
  • ENIGMA_Wired_Rotor_-_National_Cryptologic_Museum_-_DSC07768.jpg
    ENIGMA_Wired_Rotor_-_National_Cryptologic_Museum_-_DSC07768.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 394
Bakelite still exists, but is more generically called Phenolic plastic. You can get that from McMaster or many other places.

You can also look into dyeing a castable epoxy, I'm willing bet this isn't too hard to do, and may be more robust than a phenolic.

On the stippling, it's likely embossed as with a die, like a coin would be. It's there to ensure good electrical contact in use, by wiping away oxides as it's rotated, and leaving a small surface area to make contact, increasing the Hertzian forces.

From what I've been told, that 'stippling' is made by pressing it with an array of diamond shaped points, and is done to make a sheet flat. I don't know the specifics, I've heard it mentioned a few times in horology.

Fyi. In case you come across some old thermoset. Much of it had adbestos filler in it.
When i was a teen ager, my father ran a compression molding plant. They brought in abestos in dump trucks and dumped it in piles. Then mixed it with all kinds of other fillers and reinforcements plus the powdered resin. Then molases to make it into a dough. Then the dough was pre weighed and sometimes pre heated then placed by hand into vertical presses.
This was a very old plant and the presses used water from a central pump instead of oil. The water was once through and ran out of the press into a gutter and then out the back of the plant over a clift into the canal.

RE: the phenolic material -- As was previously noted, paper-based material will be the most uniform in appearance after machining, and a good-quality XXX grade will be the best in that regard. This might be a case where you could do a 3D print in black nylon, but that will require a decently pricey machine. The appearance of the printed part won't be as good as a machined part, most likely.

Clearly, the metal ring was made from a larger sheet that was either run through some sort of roller setup to produce the pattern of small holes on a larger sheet, or similar tooling used on a flat sheet in a press. For a machine that received the manufacturing attention that the Enigma machine did, I suspect no expense was spared in making the necessary parts or the tooling to make those parts.

The diamond pattern looks rolled, a small hand roll would do that easily, I’d guess the diamond pattern was part of a flattening process similar to roller correcting extrusions, instinctively you’d think the pattern was the aim, not a by product of the sheet being pulled through, the resultant pattern was probably the tension rolls gripping the sheet, I’m guessing of course before you stick a red hot poker up me arse cold end first so I burn my hand trying to extract it.
Mark

From what I've been told, that 'stippling' is made by pressing it with an array of diamond shaped points, and is done to make a sheet flat. I don't know the specifics, I've heard it mentioned a few times in horology.

That's where I've seen it, inside clocks on the supporting frames.

The diamond pattern "stippling" is a form of planishing. It's part of a flattening process that simultaneously removes stresses from the material so it will stay flat.

I'm working on building a replica of the German Enigma Machine and I'm looking for something that resemble Bakelite, preferable something that can be poured into a mold it needs to resist heat as well and Bakelite so I can solder brass contacts that pressed or molded into it more more importantly it needs to look like Bakelite.

There are plenty of castable black epoxy potting/casting resin systems available. Talk to Master Bond and their competitors.

The ring with the stippling is a stamped part. This will tend to make the part warp (not always) a little bit. To remove the stress and make the part flat stippling is used. A set of dies would have been used to do this. One side of the die is flat, the other side has the diamond pins to make the pattern. It is not decorative in any way. Just a fast way to make a thin stamped part flat. A process still used today.

If you are going to make a number of rotors, consider making them out of Bakelite. It is easy, it comes in granular form, looks like black corn meal. Just heat the mold and push the compound into it, wait a while and take the part out. I made my molds from A2, hardened and polished, but you wouldn't need heat treat for a small number. In fact, it is a common technique to run the mold while it is still soft to make sure it will work.

With no prior experience, I made a mold for a voltage regulator case with molded in terminals, known as insert molding, and adapted a K. R. Wilson press to supply the clamp pressure and a landing gear cylinder for a Grumman Bearcat for transfer pressure and made thousands of cases.

Bill

The diamond pattern looks rolled, a small hand roll would do that easily, I’d guess the diamond pattern was part of a flattening process similar to roller correcting extrusions, instinctively you’d think the pattern was the aim, not a by product of the sheet being pulled through, the resultant pattern was probably the tension rolls gripping the sheet, I’m guessing of course
With yah up to this point.
before you stick a red hot poker up me arse cold end first so I burn my hand trying to extract it.
Mark

This part I do not get.

You are posting from Wales?

Why would yah WANT to remove it if it makes life Hell for the English, hot end outward, right where it was installed?

:D

Back