What's new
What's new

modern day 13-14" Taiwanese lathes.

Cleancut

Aluminum
Hi guys,

I'm running an old south-bend , and I have simply outgrown it for many reasons.

i'm looking to step up my game, and I dont really want to deal with a used machine unless it was in really nice shape which in my area is impossible to find.

How is the quality of these new 13x36 or 14x40 asain lathes? are they mostly Chinese or still Taiwanese? the particular brand is called "MODERN"

MODERN C0636A x 1000 (1440) Lathe << Modern Tool BC Ltd.

about $7400 CAD in my area.

Taiwanese production are typically 30/50% more cost than Chinese,and the importer/vendors always point out Taiwan origin.I have no experience or knowlege of the machine you state,and that is likely an importers tag for a standard form of machine...........personally,I would not buy any machine that I did not closely inspect prior to taking delivery........you dont buy a new ship without a thorough inspection,so why a lathe.

Barf. Sorry, I think your SB will outwork that POS. 2 hp?

A decent 13" lathe needs 5 hp and a decent 15" needs 7-1/2.

Try to have a look at Grizzly/Southbend 14x40 - a number of people, including me, have them and speak well of them.
(They have a warehouse/showroom in Bellingham - not so far from BC - but I have no idea if they have direct distribution in BC or if you have to go through some import process.)

Aren't all of these lathes coming out of the same hole in the wall? All the designs look basically the same.

I was told that they are made by people that don't care , and sold by people that don't care.....but seriously anything has to be better then a 99% worn out SB.

Don't do it! Look around, I'm sure you can find something that's in great shape for that kind of money including shipping.

Or plan a road trip, I drove 1000 km each way to get my Emco S11 and am very happy I did!

It looks so very much like other brands and it's use and association with the name Modern and not actually a Standard Modern makes me think it may be a re-labeled lathe.. one just having a different name.
I would have much caution buying that machine..
IMHO when you get to around 4,000 and plus in your budget it is good to take time, look harder and consider that it does not cost that much to have a machine shipped form another location..
likely one might get a Standard Modern , or other top name for that price (around $7k ca)...in very good condition.

Qt manufacturer[The brand-name MODERN is synonymous to quality and performance.] Yes one thinks Standard Modern Lathe when seeing that name..

I think it is important to realize the real requirement and the real cost of satisfying the requirement before you go looking to solve it. I say this because I suspect you may have the cart in front of the horse.

I am assuming this is for a hobby requirement as opposed to a commercial one. I further suspect this lathe will be the ONLY lathe. If that is so, the single lathe must be sized correctly and must be fully equipped with all the accessories. That being said, when buying new, those accessories like taper attachment, metric change gears, thread gauge, chucks, collets, tool post, face plates, dogs, centers etc. can easily double the cost from the basic lathe. Now, many lathe makers offer some of that equipment as standard, but each one is different. I highly suggest that you make a master list of features and accessories that you need. This list must be checked off for every offer you receive. You will soon realize that a well equipped used machine will be much less expensive than a new one, even considering transport costs. Please do not limit your search to just your local area. Your best used lathe deals will be from industrial areas, not residential ones. Be prepared to buy there. The following are some machine tips that I find important.

Your spindle must be D1-4 or D1-6 because of availability and accessory cost. Anything else suffers availability and price issues.

Your spindle must have at least 12 speeds without the use of a 2 speed motor. Your lowest speed must be 50 rpm or lower. The highest speed should be at least 2000 rpm. Many Asian machines have only 9 speeds and the speed selection is not low enough.

Many of the Asian machine cut less than 40 thread pitches. The better machines do many more threads and feeds. Pay attention.

Lathe power: You do want a 3 phase machine of at least 3hp. 5hp is better. If you only have single phase power, get an inverter.

The Asian machines are getting better. The best are made in Japan, Korea and Taiwan in that order. Avoid European machines, not because they are bad, but because accessories are usually proprietary, hard to source and expensive.

But that Modern lathe is "tried and tested in North America. We call that SUCCESS!" Wow! If that doesn't inspire confidence...

BTW, the 'Standard Modern' lathes do not appear any better - they are just too lightweight at the given size. USA or not, you need to know what to look for and what counts.

Get some old iron.

It's nonsense the state that a 13" lathe needs 5 HP. And a 15" needs 7-1/2HP. I guess they would if you just happened to be making .250 depth cuts all the time.

I've run 14" lathes with 3HP motors on RPC's (which supposedly cut the HP rating) and there is plenty of power there to get into trouble. 3HP is a lot of power.

We're kinda in the same boat as you. We haven't outgrown anything but 2 lathes are in need of repair... so we did some researching in case we need to just replace them.
We also had a quote on that Modern. Our quote was $1000 higher interestingly (maybe you're closer to sea port). But that machines weight is lightweight compared to others.
We received a quote on a new Standard Modern 1300, which is also fairly light at 1800lb. And I splurged the $450 for a 3hp motor among other options. That quote came in at $28,000US. I gagged at that because they admitted it was the same machine as 50 years ago and some of the reviews on this site don't rank them very highly.
Kent TRL-1340/V came back at $11,500US. DRO for $2,500 and Collet Lever Closer for $1,200.
I never asked for Victor or Summit but those are my next choices for what's around me.

Machines I didn't get quotes on:
CanTek weighs in at 1375lbs and never heard anything good about them.
Sharp is only 1650lb and from reading on this forum quality has gone down in recent years.
New Hwacheon have a different spindle when we are already set up for D1-4.
Takisawa never returned any info.
Republic Lagun, Leblonde, Romi, Tren/TOS are all D1-6 spindles. Once again we are set up for D1-4 and all those machines would be too good for the people (untrained and semi-trained techs, etc.) But if my bigger Colchester or Weipart need replacing, those last 4 would be where I start.

Back