Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by trevj View Post
    A quarter? Oh holy hells! Have you seen how many hours he dragged that out for?

He made a friken CAREER outta that project!
    Jerry Nadler or Bob Mueller better hope their retirements are well-funded, then.

Only one career left for a guy with that level of talent for making something out of nothing .... so damned slowly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwud View Post
    But it's a bench lathe! Two minutes in wasn't much more substantive. Preview saved 22 minutes of my day.
    I did wonder why a collet was needed to hold a grinding wheel though. Flanges are not good now?
    Well, to his credit, he DID explain the choice he made, and eventually, he built arbors for the wheels that fit directly in the taper, which isn't that far off from industrial practice in that respect. he was long winded, and moving pretty slow, so I started skipping ahead to see if iot got any better.

But he made 20+ (honestly, I didn't care too much other than to scan through his video home page and see that he dragged that project on seemingly FOREVER)hours of videos off that project. Probably more hours than it took to make the grinder, I figure.

That whole project could have been covered with a 10 minute vid and a couple good screenshots of the drawings, and anyone that needed more info than that likely wasn't ever going to make one anyways.

Have since seen a couple other videos using those cheap collet extension spindles.

I still like Stefan Gotteswinter's use of a modified Deckel Engraver spindle better.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I still like Stefan Gotteswinter's use of a modified Deckel Engraver spindle better.
    LOL! Welllll. given Deckel was kinda anal about quality of bearings and such, for DAMNED sure it wudda worked better than one I onct tried to make out of a salvaged Waring food blender motor!

"Howling failure" might fit?

DTI I thought I had made out of a salvaged pocket watch was another "learning experience".

Soft-soldered a "probe" directly onto the body of the mainspring barrel to git the mostest mechnical advantage, greatest movement at the second-hand. Shed the escapement, re-purposed the hairspring to anti-backlash duty.

Problem was the FORCE required to move the probe at all meant you couldn't find a stable mount wouldn't rather move the mount or trash the work than move the "probe".

Thankfully, it was still "clear channel" vs daytime AM radio days, so it never made You Tube.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    LOL! Welllll. given Deckel was kinda anal about quality of bearings and such, for DAMNED sure it wudda worked better than one I onct tried to make out of a salvaged Waring food blender motor!

"Howling failure" might fit?

DTI I thought I had made out of a salvaged pocket watch was another "learning experience".

Soft-soldered a "probe" directly onto the body of the mainspring barrel to git the mostest mechnical advantage, greatest movement at the second-hand. Shed the escapement, re-purposed the hairspring to anti-backlash duty.

Problem was the FORCE required to move the probe at all meant you couldn't find a stable mount wouldn't rather move the mount or trash the work than move the "probe".

Thankfully, it was still "clear channel" vs daytime AM radio days, so it never made You Tube.
    LOL! Yeah, many MANY thankful thoughts in my life, that there were not cameras everywhere, to record the dumb stuff I did as a kid for all eternity!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LOL! Yeah, many MANY thankful thoughts in my life, that there were not cameras everywhere, to record the dumb stuff I did as a kid for all eternity!
    "as a KID?" Must be sore lazy, you quit that young...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    "as a KID?" Must be sore lazy, you quit that young...

Oh, no indeed! But to have to wear the stuff I did young and dumb, into the future, would be a whole lot different than having to wear the stuff I did later, when I knew what I was about!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)