What's new
What's new

Modifying a side milling cutter

leeko

Stainless
I recently sold my horizontal mill, after purchasing a nice big old Gorton vertical mill. Some tooling went with the mill, but I'm left with a bunch of horizontal milling cutters. Some of them I could use on a stub arbor, but my application for that will be fairly limited.

I'm wondering if the side-milling cutters (particularly the 3" carbide-tipped ones) could be modified to be used as a facemill on the vertical spindle. It looks like the hub could be recessed enough that a bolt could hold it onto a stub arbor without protruding lower than the cutters, and a keyway could be cut in the other side of the hub for positive drive.

I know it's probably not cost-effective to do this, but I'm using it as a learning experience more than anything. Looking forward to cutting some BS9 taper to 1" straight stub arbors on the lathe :)

Let me know if this sounds dumb, or if I've missed something in my reasoning here!

Thanks,

Lee

Put them on Ebay or here. Problem is if you try to use them as a face mill, you won't have enough support in the center to keep the cutter on the arbor. Look at the way a shell end mill is made. There is a recess in the center and a shoulder for a washer and bolt to clamp it to the arbor. If you can allow for protrusion of a bolt and washer on the mill cutter, then they could be used. Depending on the vertical mill, it may or may not be built to take much side load.

Tom

is this the gorton vertical that resembles a van norman , or the MASTERMIL that is more like a
toolmaster or rambaudi ? if you have the latter , bpt style turret machine , i doubt you'll get
much life from old brazed carbide slot cutters . i'd get something like an APKT shell mill ...
free cutting , and will not create the chatter and chipping you'd likely get from the older tooling.

but what do i know ..... the tools you have might work just fine .

It's an 8-1/2D. I've never used a bridgeport, but from what I've read the gorton is a fair bit stiffer since the head doesn't tilt or nod.

Decided to try to sell what I can, and buy some insert tooling. Just put my first ad up tonight :)

Lee

A flush arbor gives clearance to put a horizontal cutter where you want it. Mine gets used now and then.

Still, it doesn't change the cutter's limitations for face milling. You'll find a proper face mill, using a modern insert (e.g. something like the above noted APKT insert), will prove far more productive (faster, longer-lived, cleaner cuts) at a reasonable price.

Back