What's new
What's new

mold base suppliers.who do you use?

swamp dweller

Cast Iron
With the shortage of qualified moldmakers available to hire and some of the ones we do have getting close to retiring, we're thinking of having some mold bases machined outside so we can concentrate on the core and cavity details in house.I'm talking finished pockets, ej.pin holes, water lines, etc. Are there any reliable companies out there that can be used?
I've tried a couple different places with some MUD modules and wasn't totally pleased with their work. Any suggestions?

I've had good luck with Superior Die Mold, but I haven't had them do any custom machining:
Mold Bases - Superior Die Set

For MUD inserts I use Cross Tool. I've had them cut pockets, which were spot on, size and location:
Cross Tool & Manufacturing, Inc. | Made in the U.S.A. >> Providing quality products, competitive pricing, and exceptional service since 1980.

Dennis

I use Cross for blank MUD inserts. I didn't know they did any custom machining though.That's good to know. Thanks for sharing.

I just looked at the Cross Tool web site and see there's no mention of custom machining. If I recall (it's been at least five years) I contacted them directly and asked, and they shot me a quote. They seemed easy enough to deal with.

Superior also did a custom substitution of mold components, longer leader pins, but I didn't ask for any machining. Also easy to deal with.

Dennis

I contacted Superior and they asked for the 3D model. They didn't say they wouldn't or couldn't do it so I'm hopeful. Also contacted National Tool & Mfg. They are going to quote it. Will update when I get a response.

Over the 34 plus years I've been in the trade, we have gotten burned from all the big name Suppliers at one time or another. We build precision molds and have a few dedicated machines and guys just for mold base building. If we absolutely must send anything out, we always uses these guys. They are top notch and always do fantastic work.

Craftsman Tool & Mold | Custom Mold Bases

Back