What's new
What's new

Macimat V10 Mill/Collet Questions

Walleye Hunter

Plastic
I have a Maximat lathe/mill that I am working on trying to use and need info on the mill and collets, etc. I have one 1/2" collet and need to get some other sizes. I see that there are collet kits available, some are probably cheap Chinese but also used on fleabay (probably not Chinese). I am also trying to get the apparatus out of the column. It looks to me like the process is to remove the cap, unscrew the bolt from the top and tighten the cap down to force the tapered part out. I have gotten to the point of cranking the cap down but the taper won't let loose. I don't want to strip the threads on the cap and the book says not to hammer on the thing. What can I do to get that thing out of there?

Attached are pics of everything. And the collets that are on the market all seem to have a grove in them near the head of the collet, will those collets fit into my mount?

Thanks
Mark

Mill Collet.JPG

Mill 1.JPG

Mill 2.JPG

Mill 3.jpg

The collet in your picture is a Universal brand double taper collet. They are made in several types, but yours is the type Y that has a maximum capacity of 1/2 inch. I buy my Universal collets here, and they have both new and used collets in many sizes. For milling, you need 3/16 and 3/8 in addition to your 1/2, but you might also add 1/8, 1/4 and 5/16 to cover carbide burs and end mills.

- page 3

You have a 2 Morse taper Universal Y collet chuck in your spindle. You probably will be better off if you do not try to remove it.

Larry

Unless someone has really mucked with that Maximat head, they use an E25 collet. If you replace the nose nut (many sources) you can use ER25 collets. You can also just buy another MT2 to ER25. You will need to make an adapter if you keep the original drawbar, but it's trivial.

Pretty sure you're missing the cap that screws on top of the spindle, it's used to release whatever's in the MT2 taper. I had a milling attachment similar to yours with my S11 but sold it.

That looks like the standard ER25 collet holder that came with them, Emco called them ESX-25. That collet does look like an "double taper" type tho as Larry stated, if it fits the holder that's an odd combination for that machine.

Go poke around the site in post #2, all the info will be there for sure...

Unless someone has really mucked with that Maximat head, they use an E25 collet. If you replace the nose nut (many sources) you can use ER25 collets. You can also just buy another MT2 to ER25. You will need to make an adapter if you keep the original drawbar, but it's trivial.
It would be fine with me if I could use the ER25 collets by just changing the nut if I can't just find collets, thanks.
Pretty sure you're missing the cap that screws on top of the spindle, it's used to release whatever's in the MT2 taper. I had a milling attachment similar to yours with my S11 but sold it.

That looks like the standard ER25 collet holder that came with them, Emco called them ESX-25. That collet does look like an "double taper" type tho as Larry stated, if it fits the holder that's an odd combination for that machine.

Go poke around the site in post #2, all the info will be there for sure...

I do have that end cap and it looks to me like the book says to use it to push the morse taper out but it didn't want to budge. I didn't want to crank on it to the point that I damaged any threads on it there.

I do have that end cap and it looks to me like the book says to use it to push the morse taper out but it didn't want to budge. I didn't want to crank on it to the point that I damaged any threads on it there.

I've got one of those milling heads and a previous owner managed to get an ER25 MT2 collet chuck *very* firmly wedged in there. I think also damaged the bearings trying to get it out so be careful.

I ended up buying a set of chuck removal wedges and using them to break it free - cut down on the force needed. One day (ha ha) I'm going to make a new spindle with a ER25 or ER20 collet nose, I never use anything else in that machine anyway (I have other bigger mills, the Emco mill head is a bit of a toy really - but useful).

PDW

Are you sure you're using it right? IIRC the cap screws on the top of the spindle and you turn a SHCS inside it through a hole to eject the collet holder. Is that what you're doing? Can you post another photo of those parts/

Are you sure you're using it right? IIRC the cap screws on the top of the spindle and you turn a SHCS inside it through a hole to eject the collet holder. Is that what you're doing? Can you post another photo of those parts/

No, I'm not sure that I'm using it right at all. What am I supposed to insert in there to push it out? I thought that that bolt was unthreaded and used as the tool to push it out.

No, I'm not sure that I'm using it right at all. What am I supposed to insert in there to push it out? I thought that that bolt was unthreaded and used as the tool to push it out.

I think you are missing the OEM draw bar. The 2MT tooling that fits the spindle can have either inch or metric female threads. I expect the OEM draw bar had metric threads, but I suppose Emco might have also made an inch version. What are the threads on your bolt and collet chuck? I think the OEM draw bar had a female hex at the top that was reached through the hole in the cap nut. When you unscrew the draw bar from the 2MT tool, the top of the draw bar hits the inside of the cap nut and presses against the tool, ideally ejecting it from the spindle with no need to hammer on the spindle bearings.

I have one of these Maximat milling heads that came to me with the OEM draw bar and cap nut missing. A previous owner had substituted an inch threaded bolt, leaving no way to eject the 2MT end mill holder.

Larry

Thanks for all the help, I'm getting there. I have the draw bar but what I don't have, or might have, I need to go out there and dig through all the stuff, is the pushrod. If anyone has the dims on that I could make something. And I am just getting approved for the groups io.

Thanks again.

Back