What's new
What's new

Monitor is squiggly when cold

shanghyd

Aluminum
Bridgeport Interact with a Heidenhain controller.
My monitor is squiggly when it is cold outside. If its 42 degrees then I can barely read the monitor, its a blur of amber. Once it warms up the lines are more stable but still vary.
Any ideas where to start looking?
I did find a blown capacitor on the board and I replaced that but there was no change.

Bridgeport Interact with a Heidenhain controller.
My monitor is squiggly when it is cold outside. If its 42 degrees then I can barely read the monitor, its a blur of amber. Once it warms up the lines are more stable but still vary.
Any ideas where to start looking?
I did find a blown capacitor on the board and I replaced that but there was no change.
I'm guessing this is a CNC retrofit onto a Bridgeport. Is there any way to test the video board with a separate monitor?

I don't know if it's a LCD, but one of my shop monitors does the same thing when it's cold. I think I bought that LCD in 97 for $1300, and I guess it's just old tech. My new ones do just fine in the cold besides taking a little while to get fully bright.

Electrolytic capacitors dry out over time.
A good start would be to replace them all. Anything over 5-6 years old could be shot, depending on the make and how hot the environment.

- Mike -

The monitor (inside) case was very clean. No dust. No degauss button.
It isn't a retrofit it came this way. I don't have another monitor to try.
I'm going to try the capacitor route.
The capacitors say "West Germany" on them so they are probably pretty old.

I kind of glossed over this thread until today, when I arrived in my shop and some idjut left a pair of windows cracked open - the shop was 39 degrees this morning, -7 outside. All of my monitors seemed to object to being waken up on this morning, flat screen PCD and CRT type.... Seemed my older Anilam CRTs hated it the most and had the squiggles as well for about 15 minutes. Must be a standard problem in older type monitors (or then again, is the real problem having a shop at 39 degrees?)

Note to self - put gobs of prussian blue on the window handles to catch the mangy varmit who is doing this on a daily basis........

Back