What's new
What's new

Moore B18 jig grinder questions

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
For quick test....If one doesn't care about running the spindle rotation, does a B18 need air to properly run the other functions ? (like the oscillation of the spindle)

Also, anyone care to guess the "obsolescence quotient" on the manual jig grinders ? In other words, if they were at the height of manual jig grinder popularity in 1980 (100%), what were they in say, 2000 (%?)...and 2021 ? (%?)

I suppose equally interesting would be the obsolescence percentages on all jig grinders, manual and CNC.... to what extent have the nicer VMC's made them less desirable...

IMG_7599.jpg

The chopping is air powered. The only one I was around was semi flaky on the chopping. I think it was a microswitch prooblem.

Are you looking to buy this?

I cant answer the obsolescence question. I got into this trade in about 97 and Jig grinders have always been rare around here.

Yes, I think GD is correct. We have had a G18 for 20 years. We also have wire EDMs and if the hole goes through, we will wire it. If not, we will hard mill in in VMC. If that doesn't work, we will jig grind. So it gets used very seldom. I think the 60s and 70s were their heyday. CNC jig grinders probably get a lot more use then manual. When absolutely needed, no substitute. But i think its becoming very rare.

For what it's worth Moore Tool still makes about 10+ CNC jig grinders a year so there does appear to be a market for CNC jig grinding and they still service there old manuals too. However the real future of the company is in there Nanotech side where they're making machines with mind boggling precision.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Back