What's new
What's new

Moore Jig Borer #3 Bent Feed Drive Shaft

bkimbrough

Plastic
Hello,

I am reconditioning a Moore #3 Jig Borer. Upon disassembly I discovered that the feed drive shaft - image provided, is bent. Can anyone recommend a shop I might try to get this part manufactured? Better yet, anyone have a #3 that they are parting out?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Brad

20191216_185337.jpg

As Dan mentioned, straightening, but if not yourself, then a shop that might specialize in straightening shafts...much more cost effective than making a new one.

Stuart

Thank you for reply. I wasn't aware you could straighten a shaft with reasonable results. I will search for some information on shaft straightening.

Put it between centers or on v blocks and use a dial indicator to find the high spot(s). That will tell you where it is bent and how much. From there its a matter of figuring out where to support it and push on it. Go small amounts at a time and recheck constantly with the indicator.

Giving the selling price of Moore jig borers these days I can’t imagine anybody being able to straighten or make a new shaft for less than you could buy one for.

As mentioned above straightening would take less time than you took to remove it. I've straightened some small stuff using wood blocks with V notches and a big plastic or copper knocker before.

Below is working to a few tenths on the middle of three bearing diameters, skip ahead to about 6:20min where the actual bending happens (of the 11min vid).

Good luck,
Matt

Back