What's new
What's new

Moore Jig Borer Mike Dial Problem

Cannonmn

Stainless
I’m fixing minor issues on a used No. 3 Moore Jig Borer before putting it in service. Checking with no power to it, everything that’s supposed to move without power is now moveable. One part moves too well. The right “x” table handwheel’s micrometer dial isn’t connected mechanically to the handwheel or its shaft. The dial spins freely with very little friction. The only difference I see between that handwheel assembly and the front (y) one is that the freewheeling one has about a 1/16” gap between it and the disc forming the outer side shell of the housing. Front wheel has no gap. The 6 small holes around the circumference of the mike dial appear to contain stake pins, top surface of which is a conical cavity. I’d love to hear about an easy fix but if not will have to disassemble the mike dial housing. The 6 stake pins are all the same depth as those on the front wheel and none move down when tapped with a punch.

Attachments

• 1AF9F6D2-245B-4866-861D-87847A2A61C4.jpg
    1AF9F6D2-245B-4866-861D-87847A2A61C4.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 98
I looked at photos of other Moore no. 3’s just now and discovered that the handwheels for whatever reason were at some time modified and made much simpler by some owner. The 3 or so handsome knurled rings and knob on each handwheel are gone, replaced by one nonfunctional steel hub. So the mike dials are no longer able to be engaged and disengaged as you’d do on a typical machine such as a mill. So unless I want to try and recreate the complex clutch/lock etc. (I don’t) I’ll probably just bolt the mike dial’s inner disk to the handwheel’s disk and live with a dumbed-down machine. If I get to where I have to have the lost capability I’ll install a DRO and I’ll have a more useful machine than the original with all the dial hardware. Here’s one of the photos showing the original handwheel setup on another machine from a you-tube video. Certainly beautiful.

Attachments

• E30DC84C-3F25-4705-A4DC-51ED78FA346A.jpg
    E30DC84C-3F25-4705-A4DC-51ED78FA346A.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 73

Back