What's new
What's new

moore vs spi chair edge finders

jz25180

Plastic
I was wondering what is better the spi with the magnet or the Moore edge finder? Or is there any other brand that makes them. or similar

on most SPI stuff = JUNK. I called them on the phone they refused to help me about a item i bought and was broken, told me to return it to MSC which owns them now. yay

The Moore "chair" type edge finder, back when Moore still sold them cost US$5,000! That was the last price I saw on their website.

The SPI "chair" type (or "corner" type) edge finder typically goes for less than US$70.

I have all three types and could not tell the difference. All of mine agree within +/- 0.0001"

If you have a copy of Moltrecht's "Machine Shop Practice" then vol 2 has a copy of the plans to make your own Moore "chair" type edge finder.

-DU-

moore edge finder plans h

Does any one have the plans to make a moore chair edge finder. i really dont like the magnet type. Chips stick to it. I made one on a edm but i really want one that is lapped . Does any one have one for sell or plans.

Moore Edge Finder - Update

An old thread, but . . .

There are several currently listed on eBay for $175 - $240.

The Moore Edge jig drawing is in volume 1 of Machine Shop Practice (spent a half hour browsing my PDF of volume 2 (no mention in hex and since it's a scan it can't be searched) and finally found a reference to precision hole location - see chapter 15 of volume 1, pages 429 - 430.

Charlie

I have been very satisfied with my SPI magnetic corner chair that has served me for many years.

That's probably because you bought yours before it started being made in China.
SPI used to be a good brand, now it's just more cheap China shit.

Back