What's new
What's new

Mophorn Boring Head?

ZeroTolerance1

Plastic
Has anyone used or have any experience with a Mophorn boring head? It seems to have good reviews and is only $100 for head and 16pcs kit. I completely understand you get what you pay for and I try to always buy once cry once but I can't justify spending the money at this time on a Criterion... If not, what do you all recommend that won't break the bank?

https://www.amazon.com/Mophorn-Boring-Holder-Indexable-Carbide/dp/B07KY94D2Q

Thoughts?

that type of boring head is only for shallow bores as a longer length tool bit it deflects too much. at 5x length to dia ratio deflection becomes a serious issue. that is a solid 0.5" tool bit over 2.5" long stickout will always give vibration problems. 0.375 dia bit its 1.875 max length stick out
Devlieg boring bars are much more advanced. they can come with vernier dials and spring loaded fine adjust and or worm gear fine adjust to adjust to .0001". even the basic ones the tool bit uses a nut with a calibrated dial to easily adjust .001". they have the nut dial calibrated for 45 degree and 90 degree orientation.
hard to describe i would look at their catalogs

That Mop-Horn kit looks a lot like the one the kids have in the local high school robotics shop for their CNC. The boring bars are junk, because the brazed carbide is extremely brittle. The head itself is useable. If you bear in mind that you have to replace the bars, maybe the price is not so attractive after all.

that type of boring head is only for shallow bores as a longer length tool bit it deflects too much. at 5x length to dia ratio deflection becomes a serious issue. that is a solid 0.5" tool bit over 2.5" long stickout will always give vibration problems. 0.375 dia bit its 1.875 max length stick out
Devlieg boring bars are much more advanced. they can come with vernier dials and spring loaded fine adjust and or worm gear fine adjust to adjust to .0001". even the basic ones the tool bit uses a nut with a calibrated dial to easily adjust .001". they have the nut dial calibrated for 45 degree and 90 degree orientation.
hard to describe i would look at their catalogs

Another vote for the " DeVlieg " boring bars. Excellent tools.

Regards Tyrone.

Well... I just bought a Criterion 202B used head off ebay for $150. Hopefully, it is still within tolerance. If not, Criterion Allied charges a flat rate of $200.20 to refurbish lol. By that time I could have just bought new :rolleyes5:

I forgot to mention this will be used on my Bridgeport Vert. Mill

To the couple peeps that mentioned DeVlieg he is trying to save money over a criterion so I am pretty sure that is out of the question!

You Sorry guys! I am a complete amateur to milling, so please excuse me for my lack of terminology/expertise on the subject. I have though already made a few brackets for a Yamaha XS1100 that I am turning into a cafe racer for a buddy. With that being said...

What boring bar brand(s)/types would you recommend for all around hobbiest type work? Preferably a few that accept interchangeable inserts? As stated above, I just purchased a Criterion 202B boring head which accepts 1/2" boring bars.

I have a project already given to me by a friend for his smoker and need to bore out a specific I.D. for a fan to slip into to control temperature.

Last edited:
9737b10facaea8965aa200b979aaa130.jpg

Curtis (exkenna here on PM) sells these
His site
Lathe inserts .com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Enco and Gamet boring and facing heads show up on the bay occasionally. They are excellent boring heads. (Gamet made the ones branded Enco)

There is / was a school of thought on PM, that with a BP vert / turretmill, the last thing you need to worry about is a high accuracy boring head.

Aye. And the FIRST thing to worry about is a permanent place to store it so yah don't get the temptation of trying to find out WHY the last thing applies.

"bout all a BirdPort should be asked to handle is the two smallest sizes of Chandler-Duplex.

DeVlieg is a "system". Good one, but harder to use as partials than a Criterion or Flynn.
Go all-in or not at all.

The shop I work in has a chandler, bridgeport. and criterion, and a 4" head I don't know the name of.
I have chandler, criterion and another one ? at home.

The chandler is my favorite, but a bit long on a bridgeport. this is a facing head and the ring dial read .0001 on diameter. T slotted on mine so it will take any size you make a holder for.
The nice thing about the bridgeport is the dial is stationary and large, so easy to read. Takes 5/8 tools
On the criterion type the dial is fixed to the traveler part,and due to the zero line being on the bottom side it is harder to read. Seems like the allen wrench is always in the way. Depends on the size. mine takes 1/2" and the ones at work take 3/4 tools.

Dave

Back