What's new
What's new

More about Helicoils

veefre

Plastic
Saw a post about trouble helicoiling a V8 head in place... wrote a reply and then found I couldn't post it because the original post was archived.

Anyway, here's my reply for what it's worth. I imagine someone might find it of amusement or even value...

The proper way to renovate threaded holes on a V8 head would likely be to pull the head, hold it securely on a big drill press or Bridgeport type mill, and then drill out the holes precisely with the correct size drill for the STI tap, and follow that with a tap in exactly the same position.

I'm a machinist and have installed a fair number of helicoils, albeit usually in aluminum or other non-ferrous material (sometimes in titanium). There is a certain feel you need to have to know when you've loaded the insert into the insertion tool properly, and again when you've entered the STI tapped threaded hole properly.

I agree that a little deeper on the insertion is better than too shallow. If you install too shallow, and subsequently the installer puts tension on the fastener as it's being installed, it could pull out the first lead of the helicoil and then you gotta start over.

And of course you must break off that tang cleanly and make sure the tang remnant is blown out of the tapped hole before trying to thread in the fastener.

For exhaust studs I usually use some anti-seize compound, because steel exhaust studs are notorious for corroding in place and can be a real PITA to remove after they break.

Obviously a paint type primer isn't going to work in an exhaust stud
application. The paint would just burn away. Although I've seen a type of Loctite used on stud threads. Probably high temp stuff. From experience I'd rather have the stud come out of the head when pulling the header, than have the stud frozen to both the nut and the head and break off somewhere in between.

And sometimes the helicoil tang fails while you are installing the damn thing, in which case you gotta ease out the helicoil and start all over.

I like the inserts with the pins you tap in... I think one brand is "Keensert". These also require a different size tap than helicoils, if I'm not mistaken.

A little off topic, but for a stripped out spark plug hole on one of my cars (aluminum head) I used a nifty insert called a Timesert. It's solid, not wire wound. Same general concept as any insert, except that you must use the tools provided to put a counterbore on the tapped hole. This allows the spark plug head to contact the cylinder head instead of the insert, which makes it hold fast. Otherwise the insert will get loose, leak exhaust gases, bind to the spark plug, and undo itself the next time you try to pull the plug. There's also an insertion tool that tries to flare out the bottom of the insert to help it hold, but I know from experience that putting enough of a counterbore on the tapped hole is more important.

Back to the helicoils... it doesn't really matter, I think, what angle you put on the countersink, or even how deep it is. But you must make sure that the top thread coil on the helicoil is firmly embedded in a full thread of the tapped hole. Too shallow, and it will only partially engage in the countersunk chamfer and that may not hold as I explained above. The strongest would be to have very little chamfer and then turn the helicoil in one to one and a half turns below the surface of the material. But no chamfer makes the helicoil more tricky to start. If there is a deep chamfer, then you might need to thread in the helicoil two turns below the surface of the material to make a good fit. And this is assuming you have enough material to go deeper, and that the fastener is long enough to engage enough threads of the helicoil to achieve the required strength.

Saw a post about trouble helicoiling a V8 head in place... wrote a reply and then found I couldn't post it because the original post was archived.

Anyway, here's my reply for what it's worth. I imagine someone might find it of amusement or even value...

The proper way to renovate threaded holes on a V8 head would likely be to pull the head, hold it securely on a big drill press or Bridgeport type mill, and then drill out the holes precisely with the correct size drill for the STI tap, and follow that with a tap in exactly the same position.

I'm a machinist and have installed a fair number of helicoils, albeit usually in aluminum or other non-ferrous material (sometimes in titanium). There is a certain feel you need to have to know when you've loaded the insert into the insertion tool properly, and again when you've entered the STI tapped threaded hole properly.

I agree that a little deeper on the insertion is better than too shallow. If you install too shallow, and subsequently the installer puts tension on the fastener as it's being installed, it could pull out the first lead of the helicoil and then you gotta start over.

And of course you must break off that tang cleanly and make sure the tang remnant is blown out of the tapped hole before trying to thread in the fastener.

For exhaust studs I usually use some anti-seize compound, because steel exhaust studs are notorious for corroding in place and can be a real PITA to remove after they break.

Obviously a paint type primer isn't going to work in an exhaust stud
application. The paint would just burn away. Although I've seen a type of Loctite used on stud threads. Probably high temp stuff. From experience I'd rather have the stud come out of the head when pulling the header, than have the stud frozen to both the nut and the head and break off somewhere in between.

And sometimes the helicoil tang fails while you are installing the damn thing, in which case you gotta ease out the helicoil and start all over.

I like the inserts with the pins you tap in... I think one brand is "Keensert". These also require a different size tap than helicoils, if I'm not mistaken.

A little off topic, but for a stripped out spark plug hole on one of my cars (aluminum head) I used a nifty insert called a Timesert. It's solid, not wire wound. Same general concept as any insert, except that you must use the tools provided to put a counterbore on the tapped hole. This allows the spark plug head to contact the cylinder head instead of the insert, which makes it hold fast. Otherwise the insert will get loose, leak exhaust gases, bind to the spark plug, and undo itself the next time you try to pull the plug. There's also an insertion tool that tries to flare out the bottom of the insert to help it hold, but I know from experience that putting enough of a counterbore on the tapped hole is more important.

Back to the helicoils... it doesn't really matter, I think, what angle you put on the countersink, or even how deep it is. But you must make sure that the top thread coil on the helicoil is firmly embedded in a full thread of the tapped hole. Too shallow, and it will only partially engage in the countersunk chamfer and that may not hold as I explained above. The strongest would be to have very little chamfer and then turn the helicoil in one to one and a half turns below the surface of the material. But no chamfer makes the helicoil more tricky to start. If there is a deep chamfer, then you might need to thread in the helicoil two turns below the surface of the material to make a good fit. And this is assuming you have enough material to go deeper, and that the fastener is long enough to engage enough threads of the helicoil to achieve the required strength.

Im not a fan of helicoils, they might be big in aircraft but in the tractor industry I will not go there. I can do better.

The day I discovered time-serts, heli-coils became junk. The best place to install them is in the trash, then go buy a time-sert kit.

heli-coils are rubish, he says after reomoving 1/2 dozen from a peice that came into the shop for Proper repair. They have their place; for a quick repair to get you up and running till you have time to re-drill and tap to next size up fastener or where it is literally imposible to change fastener size. If you go down this roadthen Keen Serts are better IMOP.

heli coils suck

threadlockingss_top.gif

use something like this instead

Im not a fan of helicoils, they might be big in aircraft but in the tractor industry I will not go there. I can do better.

How many tractors have aluminum heads???

"heli-coils are rubish, he says after reomoving 1/2 dozen from a peice that came into the shop for Proper repair. They have their place; for a quick repair to get you up and running till you have time to re-drill and tap to next size up fastener or where it is literally imposible to change fastener size. If you go down this roadthen Keen Serts are better IMOP. "

IMHO aluminum heads should come from the factory with Helicoiled spark plug holes. More than just a "quick repair" item. How many times are you going to weld, drill, and tap an aluminum hole before you decide a Helicoil is the way to go? It all depends on the thickness and shape of the material as to which insert is best. Most of the holes I need to repair don't have enough material around the hole for any other insert. So far nobody has described why they think Helicoils are rubbish.

heli coils suck

threadlockingss_top.gif

use something like this instead

Those inserts are damn good, used lots of them on parts like cat bulldozer parts.

As far as aluminum parts heli coils work, If I have to use them in an aluminum engine head that thing is going to be sold and wont be my problem any more.

The concept of some coil of wire to thread a hole just seems wrong to me. After finding out how much they are used in aircraft I wont ever fly again. 4 wheels on the ground works for me and If I go over seas i will be in a boat.

I've had success with heli-coils. I've also used time-serts and I like them better than heli-coils, but there not as easy to find. I've had a few chevys with aluminum oil pans and the oil plug thread is heli-coiled from the factory.

Why does everyone think Heli-coils suck? I use them all the time. They work great.

The aircraft guys use them all over the place. A Boeing 747 has over 250,000 Heli-coils installed, straight from the factory. And I don't see 747's falling apart.

Why does everyone think Heli-coils suck? I use them all the time. They work great.

The aircraft guys use them all over the place. A Boeing 747 has over 250,000 Heli-coils installed, straight from the factory. And I don't see 747's falling apart.

I'm waiting for an answer, as well.

My first-choice-for-most-applications thread-repair insert is the EZ-Lok adhesive-retained, solid insert, but for those times when a wound-wire insert is warranted, the tangless inserts originally developed by Kato but now available from most of the wound-wire-insert makers (including Heli-Coil) stand out as an INCREDIBLE improvement over the conventional tanged inserts. The only downside to the tangless inserts is the price of the installation and removal tools, but that price is soon paid back by not having to waste time, effort, and risk (especially in high-reliability hardware) of removing and accounting-for the tangs.

John

Last edited:
I want to know why they cant tap a good hole?

Why the aircraft guys can't tap a good hole?

It's got nothing to do with the quality of the tapped hole - it's the substrate. If you are dealing with aluminum, magnesium or something else soft, no matter how well you tap it, you still have soft threads. So they install a Heli-coil at the factory so you have steel-on-steel threads. It will prevent the hole from stripping in the first place, so you never have to repair it.

This is particularly important for parts that will be repeatedly installed and removed during their lifespan.

It's got nothing to do with the quality of the tapped hole - it's the substrate. If you are dealing with aluminum, magnesium or something else soft, no matter how well you tap it, you still have soft threads. So they install a Heli-coil at the factory so you have steel-on-steel threads. It will prevent the hole from stripping in the first place, so you never have to repair it.

This is particularly important for parts that will be repeatedly installed and removed during their lifespan.

All respect to you but i will will never fly in a plane ever again, it will never happen. I will walk first.

Not that I agree with helicoils being junk, but how does a helicoil make a threaded hole any better in soft material? Don't the helicoil thread into the soft threads? I am with everyone else, I am not flying! Not because of the helicoils, I just don't think I was designed for flight.:crazy:

Josh

Not that I agree with helicoils being junk, but how does a helicoil make a threaded hole any better in soft material? Don't the helicoil thread into the soft threads? I am with everyone else, I am not flying! Not because of the helicoils, I just don't think I was designed for flight.:crazy:

Josh

The Helicoils make threaded holes stronger because they go in a larger tapped hole and spread the stress out to a larger area.

Big B

I kinda like the look of those time-serts.

If the application is heavy section and a large flange like off road machinery, with a fine threaded capscrew torqued to "yo-mama", I like the keen-sert also. They make solid ones if you have a hole in the wrong location??? OOPS!

For vibrators and tampers the heli coil stands the test of time. It should be noted that even with the right tap the coil often is a tad smaller than the "2B" size so cheap or inconsistant fasteners can be trouble. The no-go plug gage in the tamper part in the thumbnail is only in 1/2 turn (should be 1 1/2 turns).

I use a fair amount of re-coils (heli knockoff). This part gets re-manned by borewelding and furnace anneal with the inserts making a couple of cycles before going to "plan B".

Matt

Attachments

• Recoil.jpg
    Recoil.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 861
Matt --

I see you've let one of Northwestern Tool's Re-Nu-Thread inserts sneak into the picture along with a key-locking insert. I'd be interested in hearing you opinion of the Re-Nu-Thread inserts . . . only used 'em once, and they worked ok . . . but their first-cousin EZ-Lok inserts, which are held in place by encapsulated anaerobic adhesive (which needs time to cure) don't nag at the back of my mind like the nylon-pellet retainer does.

John

The Helicoils make threaded holes stronger because they go in a larger tapped hole and spread the stress out to a larger area.

Ah, that makes sense! I made a 2 hp motor mounting plate out of aluminum plate, and an old tool and die maker told me to tap the holes with thread inserts. Since the inserts still went into aluminum, I couldn't figure out why steel thread inserts in an aluminum hole would work better than steel threads in an aluminum hole.

Back