What's new
What's new

More Miniature Tools... Depth and Marking gauges

rivett608

Diamond
Had a busy weekend in the shop..... finished some 1/8th scale depth and marking gauges. These knobs were the from the steel that was splitting....... it seems that might have been isolated to just part of some pieces. These are pretty straight forward...... I like filing thumb screws... they don't take long and look so cool. The threads are 0.75 MM. Both as you can see are copied from full scale examples.

DSCN9372.jpg

DSCN9373.jpg

DSCN9375.jpg

I've looked at this 3 times and can't find the right words.
Looks like magic.

Come on Rivett!! Those aren't proper copies. Your minis are more detailed and artistic!!!!

Yeah, let's see you put the flaws and imperfections that are in the original into those exquisite improvements (they aren't copies if they're better!)

Always very, very impressive to see your work. Thx for sharing.

Very nice work, Rivett. :)

I have to agree with Gwilson, though.... the opening in the brass depth guage that you made is waaaaaayyyy nicer than the roughed out original... keep trying, though... you'll get it right sooner or later... ;)

Brian :D

I just can't help myself.... if I can see a way to make it prettier I do...... let's see here, the depth gauge didn't have the ball end and the marking gauge was lacking it's acorn. I have others that do have those features and since this not a copy of any exact one I can combine the best features.

Thanks for your kind words about my work.

Spent part of the week making some more gauges..... this time a surface gauge. About 1 3/4" tall.... big threads on the clamp... for me anyway.... 1.2 MM....... this is an adaptation from one I have... however I made a fancier knob than the original.... I also enjoy making those little acorn finials.....

DSCN9393.jpg

DSCN9402.jpg

What material did you use to make the surface gauges? I have read gwilson's posts about knurling with interest. Do you have any pictures of your knurling setup for the knobs?

The material is steel..... some parts I think are 12L14.... the main shafts are something else, maybe has some nickel in it, it was from a handful of maybe some king of knitting needles someone had made based on the the flex and way the ends were ground. Turned very nice but at a real steep angel and was a pain to drill.

The knurling is done with a hand held tool on a tee rest.

RIvett,

Love those rope knurls. I have seen that same double row rope knurl on a lot of older (pre-1970s) microscopes on the focus knobs.

-DU-

Dave I too like that double rope knurl..... simple but elegant.... and notice on these I was able to "wrap" the knurl around the edge to the front side a little.....

Kustom..Kid.... A Nikon P-80 set on apature mode... this is a aim & shoot with a bigger lens than the pocket cameras. It is OK but not great..... I think I will upgrade sometime. That said, tonight I am digitizing a old slide show that was shot with 35mm aim & shoot.... funny, I thought those were clear images at the time...... on the HD monitor some look borderline but that is just the way it is........ can't go back and make something I did 20+ years ago.

Beautiful, nothing else can describe, awesome.
Click spring did some nice rope knurled knobs, awesome craftsman also
Mark

Back