What's new
What's new

Most powerful penetrating oil (recommendations)

kathytorres

Plastic
On a high mileage and old motor is any use bothering to spray the bolts on the job a few days before commencing the work and if so what is freeing agent would you recommend?

I can't imagine how any fluid can creep round a thread of a bolt with a nut and washer very tight and not touched for years, but I'll see what you say.

It's here my interested: CRC Knock Loose Penetrating Oil

If you're a CRC owner, would like to hear your experience and how they compare to other oil you've tried.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Many people say that Kroil is the best, but it's expensive and hard to find. I've also hear that a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid is just as good, although I've never tried it. I doubt that anything is going to get under the head of a tight rusty bolt. Even spraying it on exposed threads, I've had many things that were dry after disassembly. Most engine bolts will come out OK (unless it's a marine engine), but bolts for the exhaust often won't.

This debate again....

There are situations in which penetrating oil is best, but bolts in engine blocks? Heat. Oxy-acetylene is easiest, induction heaters next best.

This is a very interesting and compelling topic that I don't ever recall having been discussed before. I look forward to learning more as we embark on this journey of learning together. Maybe we can also include engine oils, spark plugs, and divining rods.

A little "welcome to the forum" straight from Canada eh.
canada.gif

Many people say that Kroil is the best, but it's expensive and hard to find. I've also hear that a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid is just as good, although I've never tried it. I doubt that anything is going to get under the head of a tight rusty bolt. Even spraying it on exposed threads, I've had many things that were dry after disassembly. Most engine bolts will come out OK (unless it's a marine engine), but bolts for the exhaust often won't.

If you haven't tried it, why would you recommend it? If you had tried it you would know that they won';t even mix. Why spread the HSM voo doo?

This book might help. If noting else, it's something to read while you're waiting for the Kroil to soak in.

"Busted Tractors and Rusty Knuckles : Norwegian Torque Wrench Techniques and Other Fine Points of Tractor Restoration"

This book might help. If noting else, it's something to read while you're waiting for the Kroil to soak in.

"Busted Tractors and Rusty Knuckles : Norwegian Torque Wrench Techniques and Other Fine Points of Tractor Restoration"

Rodger Welsh was a great guy, used to read his postings all the time
over at agriculture.com

He sent a bunch of us packages of "Popsicle Seeds", all done up in the regular
seed packets, with instructions and what not.

We seem to be getting a lot of spam lately, disguised as questions, that links to the site drilly.com.

It would be simple to automate blocking of posts that link to that site.

However, when those posts get reported as spam, but they don't get removed. It makes it appear that this is a new advertising arrangement on PM?

We seem to be getting a lot of spam lately, disguised as questions, that links to the site drilly.com.

It would be simple to automate blocking of posts that link to that site.

However, when those posts get reported as spam, but they don't get removed. It makes it appear that this is a new advertising arrangement on PM?

It's all about whatever google tells the site owner what it wants....

and it want's hits, hits, and mooooooore hits.

Back