What's new
What's new

Mount a mini lathe onto the bed of a mill?

• Thread starter JayDeHay
  • Start date
  • Replies 6
  • Views 2,474
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JayDeHay

Hello all!
To cover my bases, yes I searched the forum, no I didn't find this mentioned, here or on the web in general.

I'm looking into getting my first piece of machinery, and I had a thought. I'd like to eventually have both a lathe and a mill, but I really only have space for one full sized machine. I envision myself doing more milling than turning, so I'm planning on getting a small tabletop lathe.

Last night a thought occurred to me, what if I mounted the mini lathe right to the bed of a mill? It wouldn't live there, but there's a lot of things I could imagine it being useful for. Of course it would have to be rigidly mounted and leveled and all that, but except for the mill having enough vertical movement, is there some major or minor issues with this arrangement that I should be aware of?

I realize you don't have much space, however not having a decent lathe would be a severe handicap. Lathe wise a short bed 9" Southbend doesn't need much room and you will be ahead of the game. There are a few compact milling machines that are handy. These will fit in a reasonably small space.

Where would it go when you are milling? Can't it just do the same work from there?

IMO, hobby work starts in the range of a small 9" Southbend. Anything smaller than that I just can't see being useful. If space is that much of an issue, replace your toolbox with a solid workbench with drawers and mount a decent bench top lathe on that.

Depending on the physical size of your intended projects, or necessary work envelope, you could adapt a chuck to fit your mill spindle and use your mill for turning operations. You would clamp a turning tool in a vice, find the centerline of your workpeice and use the mill x and z axis to adjust your cuts and dimensions. I hope I’ve explained this method correctly. Been there and done that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back