What's new
What's new

Mounting a grinder to a small torit

leeko

Stainless
Hi,

I have a 2x60 belt grinder, and recently picked up a torit model 64 dust collector. I was looking at different options for the dust collection setup, and came across some Burr King and Kalamazoo grinders that are mounted directly on top of the dust collector, with a collection shroud right under the front wheel.

S272V 2 x 72 inch heavy duty belt grinder & vacuum base

Is there anything special about those collectors in terms of spark control, or is this something that would be safe to do with the torit? Seems like it would otherwise be a neat solution.

Thanks,

Lee

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I’d like to hear the answer- the Torit filter bags all seem flammable, I’ve heard the theory that enough air velocity keeps the sparks from igniting anything. IDK, all my experience with grinders and DCs either involved long pipe runs to a DC or bag house, or the sander/ grinders weren’t used for metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yebbut... The torits are marketed as metal dust collectors, as far as I know. The catalog/brochure/manual doesn't mention any special precautions needed for that intended use....

I just want to confirm before I set fire to my shop...

Lee

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I’d like to hear the answer- the Torit filter bags all seem flammable, I’ve heard the theory that enough air velocity keeps the sparks from igniting anything. IDK, all my experience with grinders and DCs either involved long pipe runs to a DC or bag house, or the sander/ grinders weren’t used for metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, the filter bags will burn. The high air flow will not extinguish the fire.

The filter relies on the multiple bounces of a spark as it passes through the collection hose and the bottom dust pan to eliminate a source of ignition.

I have used the Torit for collecting grinding dust when preparing and finishing welds. The collection cabinet is run with the front cover removed so it is collecting dust from the work area directly without the use of a hose. It works well and keeps the welding area and the lungs cleaner. The filter is collecting the fine grinding dust. The chunks of metal generated by the 36 grit Norton wheel fall to the floor.

However, a spray of sparks from a grinding wheel will ignite the filter bag, It burns slowly so it only takes a second to extinguish the embers with a welding glove. My guess is that the bag is manufactured with a fire retardant. In this instance there is no danger because the filter bag is fully visible.

If the filter cabinet is run as intended the sparks will no longer be glowing by the time they strike the filter bag. To be fire safe, the filter should only be used to collect floating dust rather that the large bits of metal that can be produced by a course grinding wheel.

The belt sander will only be generating dust.

The filter bag does need to be shaken before each use and the collection pan emptied frequently.

Back