What's new
What's new

Mounting Lathe on Wood Floor.

farmersamm

Cast Iron
Dealing with less than solid substrate, and less than acceptable machine. (Get used to it, it's the wave of the future, sad to say) The MAGA boys got ya to fighting amongst yerselves, while they steal the country.

stand1.jpg Problem is to make this suitable for a solid base.

stand16.jpg Some crap welds to deal with.

Cut them out, grind a V, and fill it. Solid connection.

stand17.jpg

stand18.jpg

This is welding, for y'all that only sit on stools.

Floor tilts two ways. X, and Y.

Gonna deal with the Y.

Need 5/16 lift from back to front. In other words, the back has to be higher.

stand10.jpg First thing to do is to attach a new anchor. Anchoring strip (3/8 flat) is welded to the existing cabinet in a level position. Gaps are held with wedges (the screwdriver). This technique is the bomb for holding gaps open while welding. It prevents shrinkage.

Front, and back, are done the same. Cabinet is set so that it doesn't rock. Strips are welded in place so that the entire thing is stable.

From here, we go to the tabs. Something to establish an angle, and to provide an anchor for the cabinets, and the machine.

stand13.jpg The 5/16 lift is provided by the back tab. The angles are filled in. A simple gap filling technique. Not bothering to get all anal, and make a wedge. Stupid waste of time. We got it goin' on with this simple fix.

Front to back angles are done.

stand14.jpg

All welding is done with the aforementioned wedges. Just a screwdriver, not high tech.

stand10.jpg Little lesson for y'all that don't weld. Shrinkage is the word of the day when running welds. It's up to you to counteract it, or make it right.

The pads are bolted to the stand. This assures that the bolt/stud runs at a 90* angle to the plate. You always want bolts to run at a 90.

Pads bolted, and pedestal under pads. Ready for tacking, and welding. stand15.jpg What you've done at this point is work the averages. Every step brings the assembly close to level. All steps are actually level, but the succeeding step spreads the error, and makes the error inconsequential.

Final thing is the floor plate. The plate that actually attaches to the floor.

stand22.jpg Needs holes drilled for screws, and final weld to pedestal.

At this point, the stands are level from front to back.

Get to the rest of it later when the lathe is off the trailer, and in the shop.

Short word on studs. They dinna need to be threaded. Sorry y'all. Threading isn't the cats meow.

stand7.jpg

stand8.jpg

Not industrial, but practical. I actually work with this stuff. Ain't a hobby.

First time I set foot in a "machine shop" I saw a buncha stools in front of the machines. Stupid me,,,,,,,,,,I figgered these folks don't work for a living, they just sit on their asses. Thanks Paulo, ya gave me an attitude. Your bad.

On the subject of imported iron.

I don't like it. I hate it.

But it's the wave of the future. Hell, it's here and now. No escaping it. High dollar machines, low dollar machines. Don't blame me. Blame the Republican ya just elected to office. He/She is the one that done it to ya. Those folks hate labor. They beat the labor unions, and other folks, by moving it all offshore. Wasn't my doing. I just gotta suffer with it.

Not gonna fall on the petard of OLD WORN OUT AMERICAN IRON. I need something that works. I hate that it isn't made by my fellow countryman. Suck that up, and tell me ya are real, while running around in yer imported car. Or foreign car "made in the USA" what a f'n joke.

Anyways...…..Lathe gets uncrated, and moved into the shop tomorrow, if all goes well.

It's needed for a template.

Have to make the mounts on the top end of the cabinets. Once mounting plate made, then it's a matter of making a "copy" of the lathe to position the cabinets. Sounds confusing, but it works. Us long armed gorilla welders got our crap together. :D

Guess yah HAVE to, yah be too lazy to level the floor as we leather-britches Beavers wudda done.

Y'all beavers, big teeth 'n all, don't have a door that won't close if'n the container is leveled. Bring the front end up to level it, and the azz end goes down accordingly. Door no closeeeeeee, and damn sure won't openeeeee.

Try again...………...

Walk a mile in my shoes, if'n ya got the metal. This is another prime example why we are losing the battle. No imagination, and no balls. Geez man, you of all people.

Walk a mile in my shoes, if'n ya got the metal. This is another prime example why we are losing the battle. No imagination, and no balls. Geez man, you of all people.
If you weren't such an illiterate prick, I could almost understand you. All I get from all your excited post's. Precision Levelling via Welding? Of your 12 pictures. Not one picture that includes a level.

Don't suppose you bothered any of the Starrett product's. Did you at least wave a map of Massachusetts, past it, whist you welded on a bit of 5/16" scrap?

John Deere's forum's lose, is our gain. What the hell did you do to get thrown off the farmer / tractor forums?

If you weren't such an illiterate prick, I could almost understand you. All I get from all your excited post's. Precision Levelling via Welding? Of your 12 pictures. Not one picture that includes a level.

Don't suppose you bothered any of the Starrett product's. Did you at least wave a map of Massachusetts, past it, whist you welded on a bit of 5/16" scrap?

John Deere's forum's lose, is our gain. What the hell did you do to get thrown off the farmer / tractor forums?

It's a "Not to be mentioned mini lathe" and it's in a "House with wheels under it".

But we are all "Doing it wrong"...

Needs locked.

I have a suggestion for leveling this Gr***ly knockoff (as described by the OP on the OTHER forum.) From my old farming days I recall that some of our tractors required front-end weights when we were using heavy implements on the 3-point hitch. Multi-row cultivators are a good example as they are quite heavy and without enough counterweight could make the front end of the tractor float when the cultivators were lifted out of the ground. So win-win---just weld the lathe to the front end of the John Deere. When not in use for precision turning metal it will help the turning of the tractor. When it's time for precision metal turning, just drive the tractor around until the lathe looks level and run a long extension cord to it. There are a couple other hidden benefits. No need to clean up mountains of swarf, just move on. On-location repair of other implements will be easy as you can drive right up to the implement with the lathe and and make the needed 1/4-20 bolt right then and there.

I hope this helps....

Denis

Y'all beavers, big teeth 'n all, don't have a door that won't close if'n the container is leveled. Bring the front end up to level it, and the azz end goes down accordingly. Door no closeeeeeee, and damn sure won't openeeeee.

Try again...………...

I'd rather deal with a five-year old. Or even my 3-year-old grand-nephew.

Most of them are at least aware they ARE but small children, busy trying to learn anything they can get their alert little minds wrapped around, and proud of genuine PROGRESS!

You've NO idea how easy it is to JUST FIX that sidegodlin door as part and parcel OF the floor-leveling project, EITHER?

You have a "weldment" solution to what the grown-ups use bum-fodder for, too?

Please... no pictures, even if it DID "happen".

IWhat the hell did you do to get thrown off the farmer / tractor forums?

Failed "Monkey patch 101" AND the "Bubbafucking" pre-requisite from the look of it.

Didn't yet OWN a pair of "all week" shoes when we raised the house off of stone pillars, hand-dug a basement under it, set cinder block walls and set 'er back down. Old timer had showed a curious four-year-old how to use a turnbuckle to sort the tilt by over-compensating so it came back true once sorted, correction locked-in, thence removed.

Why would one forget sumthin' so SIMPLE and CHEAP that is still useful coming up 70 years on?

"If'n ya got the metal?"

How about:

"If'n yah had a BRAIN?"

FWIW? Present-day Big Green ain't for illiterates, nohow. Serious money is involved, "America's most productive minority" don't run off no stoopid pills, and never HAD done:

Telematics | Electronic Solutions | John Deere US

Back