What's new
What's new

Mounting my 5" 4 jaw lathe chuck, 1-1/2" X 8 thread to a 5C collet, looking for ideas

bmklawt

Aluminum
Mounting my 5" 4 jaw lathe chuck, 1-1/2" X 8 thread to a 5C collet, looking for ideas

Is there a 5C collet out there that I can mount my 5" 1-1/2" X 8 thread chuck to, I'm just trying to avoid buying a new chuck with a 5C shank.

Your help is greatly appreciated,

I've got a 4" four jaw with a 5C shank. I wouldn't use it for anything but light work, it's hanging waaaaay out there. Why can't you take the collet chuck off whatever it is mounted on?

You want one with 2" diameter and 2" thickness to make a 1 1/2-8 thread. EBay will have a variety of sizes, including 2 x 2. Here is one for $24.99 with free shipping.

2'' x 2'' 5C Fixture Mount Precision Lathe Face Plate 2'' Diameter Steel Collet | eBay

If your lathe will not cut the thread, you will have to pay to have it done. I have one 5C threaded jaw chuck mount, a 2 3/16-10 that fits Hardinge chucks. It was a stock item at SPI years ago, but I don't think they sold other sizes. And I have some special Hardinge threaded 5C collets for drill chucks, but they are the only ones I have seen in decades.

It is something I might expect a company like Kalamazoo Industries to make, but they only list one with 1-10 thread, a common USA thread for small chucks.

Kalamazoo Industries 5C collet indexing fixture

Larry

Back