Mounting a small chuck on L0 backplate
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Mounting a small chuck on L0 backplate

Hi all,

I have to mount a 5" 6-jaw lathe chuck on an L0 backplate. The chuck has threaded mounting holes close to the rim, designed to be screwed into from the back.

Because of the small size of the chuck, the necessary through holes in the backplate would eat into the taper mount portion of the backplate.

Edit: ignore the existing holes in the backplate, it came that way from the factory. The needed hole pattern is center punched and marked with black sharpie dots.

I see 2 ways around this:

1) use an intermediate spacer the same diameter as the backplate, bigger than the chuck body

2) drill through-holes in the chuck body and screw into the backplate from the front.

I would prefer to do 2), as it avoids a bulky setup and reduces overhang from the spindle. But, there's not much room to get those through-holes into, and the countersink holes for the SHCS would actually exceed the outer diameter of the chuck - not ideal.

Is there a better solution I'm too dumb to see?

Thanks,

Lee

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can modify the chuck with thru holes to the face, so you can use longer socket head cap screws thru the chuck to the back plate. I have 5" 3-jaw chuck I did that to last year. You can also mount a sub plate the 5" chuck with a flange large enough to install socket head cap screws thru to the back plate. Provided the back plate is large enough to drill and tap new holes to accept the screws. Ken

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

3. Get a Pratt Burnerd Setrite 6" 6-jaw chuck. It has the mounting screw heads on the front and you get an adjustable chuck. But you have to have a 3.12 inch boss on the front of the adapter that the four adjusting screws bear on, which may be a bit small for the through hole of the L0 adapter.

https://www.prattburnerd.com/detail....C&m=SC-253-263

Larry

4. Likes 4GSR liked this post