What's new
What's new

Moving a Bridgeport through a door?

Laverda

Cast Iron
My current shop needs the slab replaced after almost 50 years of it sinking. So all the machine tools will need to temporarily move to a different building. Where they need to move the door is 48" x 80". Everything will fit except the 2J2 Bridgeport as it has a 48" table and with the handles on the end it is probably 60" wide and 60" deep. I would rather not have to remove the table to get it through the door. So what do you think, would if fit through diagonally maybe??? I don't want to move it 300 feet across dirt and find out it won't fit.:confused:

I moved mine with a 42" table up two steps and into a 32" or 36" door once. It wasn't that hard, at least once I got it to the door level.

I have seen a good rigger slide the one end of the table in and spin the machine and snake the machine into the room. They had the machine on a heavy duty pallet jack. Also had the knee down and head turned down to make the center of gravity lower. Have to move the table over sometimes for clearance. If not taking the table off is super easy too unless you have a DRO. I just saw "across dirt"? what do you mean?

Now's a good time to put in a proper door, too...

On edit: upon review, my snarky answer may be misplaced. I'll bet the narrow door is at the temp space, and the dirt is between buildings. If it's a hassle, maybe just rent a truck/container for a week. Don't even drive it, just use it as a shed...

If the slab is still in good condition but just settled from weight have the slab leveled by pumping concrete underneath. Does the slab have open cracks, if so then yes, replace it. If you do replace the slab then make sure the subgrade is compacted. Don’t forget a vapor retarded too.

Our fearless PM leader used to have pictures of snaking a BP through an office door. It involved cranking the table from one extreme to the other as it is hooked through the door and around the jamb.

Build a mock up door frame out of a couple of 2x4s if your that worried about it not fitting.

I need to move about 10 machine tools. The distance between the shop the Bridgeport is in now to the storage building is about 300 feet. Getting it out of the current shop is no problem as it has a 8' x 16' roll up door. The storage building has a 48" x 80" door. Between the two is dirt and gravel. Hoping the forklift does not sink in to the ground! I don't want to move it until I am certain it will make it through 48" x 80" door. If I have to remove the table or need a bigger door, I want to know in advance. Everything else will make it through the door (lathe by a tiny bit) except the Bridgeport. Again it's a 1980 Bridgeport 2J2 with a 48" table.

You should have no problem geting 48" table through 48" door. Move table all the way to one side and push the side the table is not extended through the door at enough of an angle that the table can now be cranked to the inside of the room and push the other side of machine in. If you are at all worried cut cardboard or plywood templates, one the size of the machine base and the other the size of the table and try it.

You can reverse the handles on the bed, and still spin them. As already stated no problem with the door.

The dirt/gravel could be easy or dangerous. For me I would call a guy that does driveways. Have him grade the area smooth and level, L-R. The FL may weight 5-7K and then a BP of 2k, and 80% on the the drive axle, you need good ground support. If the FL sticks in the dirt with a BP hanging off the end, would yield a fun video for YouTube, not so good for you.

I put my 42" table machine through a standard 36" door. No difference in procedure to do a 48" table. As stated a few times here, really easy, just bring it up parallel to the door with the table all the way to on side. Crank the table all the way to the other side and through the door and then rotate the body of the machine through after it. My door even had a step to make things more interesting..... you'll have it in a flash with a 48" door.

Pete

And just a word to the wise on the forklift journey... oak spacers between the fork and machine, and probably strap it to the lift as well, so sudden deceleration doesn't equal sudden gust of gravity.

Your original post indicates table-only as fitting//not through the door.
The table alone will fit, easily.

The full machine will likely fit, and the 2x4 wood frame to test it seems to me to be an excellent idea. !! Kudos.

Likewise, making a door wider is not hard or expensive.
Rented tool, diamond disc, and wall/door structure is easily enlarged in a non-destructive manner.
If renting or leasing, good work practice and "profits" from a bigger opening will likely allow any mods from owner.

Back